lens for photographing people

Edit My Images
No
Im looking at the Sony A200 which comes with a 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 len.

is this any good for shooting people? or would an upgrade be better?

thanks.

You could also buy a Sigma prime, some of them aren't bad and not particularly expensive either.
The Sigma 50 mm F2.8 macro looks nice and so does the 30 mm F1.4.

The 50mm would be best, for close-ish shots a 30mm has a tendency distort facial features.

I have a Sony 50mm f1.4 and a Sigma 105mm f2.8 and these are both great for people shots and both come in around the £270 mark. There's also the Sigma 50mm f2.8 for around £200 or the Sigma 70mm f2.8 Macro for around £300. Then there's the well respected Tamron 90mm which is in a similar bracket to the Sigma 105.

So yes, the lenses will cost as much as or more than your kit, but then that's photography. You will always end up spending far more on lenses than bodies. See how you get on with your kit and then, when you're happy to, splash out on one or more of the above. They are all very good lenses at the cheaper end of the market.

is this any good for shooting people?

Ahh - the old Armalite/AK47 debate....:coat:

(seriously though, the 18-70mm is good, but for low-light conditions, a f/2.8 zoom of similar focal lengths would be better, and a 50mm fast prime will be the dogs danglies. You'll have to use manual zoom though - your feet!)

Im looking at the Sony A200 which comes with a 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 len.

is this any good for shooting people? or would an upgrade be better?

thanks.

its a rubbish lens mate. If you can just go for the body and buy a Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR DI LD ASP instead. It's a bit more expensive but you wont regret it.

If you would rather get the kit lens then just buy the body and I will sell you my kit lens for a good price :p

as said above the minolta 50mm f 1.7 is a cracking lens for the money.I bought one from a guy on here

Back