Lens Fungus Removal

Name
Sean
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a look at a friends camera collection yesterday, tons of FD glass mostly in excellent condition but some have some fungus. I know allot of people dont worry about it or just write a lens off, but is there anyone in the UK that offers a removal service?

The 200 f2.8 has quite advanced fungus but I don't want to write off such a lovely lens.

You can do it yourself with a little bit of time and care. It'll save you paying someone and you'll be able to do it properly.

Links to some decent guides here and here

You can do it yourself with a little bit of time and care. It'll save you paying someone and you'll be able to do it properly.

Thanks Joe - had a google but cant find a guide to opening a FDn 200 f2.8 - any idea where I'd find one?

These are very good links and I can confirm that the first one works - I used it on one of my old lens elements with good success.

Alternatively, you can use simple household bleach (not as effective as the first link but works) on a fungus - it will soften it up and then can be washed by soapy water. Worked quite well as well in not so complicated cases.

Last edited:
Hi I have had a couple of lenses done by the below company. They made an excellent job. Worth giving them a ring.

PREMIER ELECTRONIC SERVICES SHEFFIELD.

Google them for the phone No.

Hi I have had a couple of lenses done by the below company. They made an excellent job. Worth giving them a ring.

PREMIER ELECTRONIC SERVICES SHEFFIELD.

Google them for the phone No.

What sort of cost are we talking about here?

Sorry for the delay.
The last lens i had done was a nikon 80-200 ed with fungus.
Complete clean if I remember correctly was £80
They do give free estimates by the way.
When looking at the price I think you must consider that with fungus my lens really was a scrapper with only low resale value. Now it is a serviced lens with no fungus or dust and would command the highest price.
not that it's going anywhere!

Sorry for the delay.
The last lens i had done was a nikon 80-200 ed with fungus.
Complete clean if I remember correctly was £80
They do give free estimates by the way.
When looking at the price I think you must consider that with fungus my lens really was a scrapper with only low resale value. Now it is a serviced lens with no fungus or dust and would command the highest price.
not that it's going anywhere!

Thanks for the info Peter.

Just to bump this - does anyone have a recommended solution? Some people say hydrogen peroxide/ammonia 50/50, some suggest lens cleaning fluid, others say white vinegar. Don't know what to start with!

You need something midly acidic or mildly alkaline to denature/kill the lens fungus without stripping any coatings off the elements. Personally i would go with white vinegar as it wont smell as badly as the ammonia (y)

Thanks Rob - vinegar is tempting, especially as I don't want to smell like a chemical plant after cleaning the fungus!

Another vote here for white vinegar!

Asha - from personal experience? :)

Yes done it on the lenses of several folders.

Also used white vinegar on a couple of brass lenses .....only the glass mindst as i don't know what if any effect it would have it it reacted with the brassware.

Don't drown them!!....a little on a cotton bud ...easy does it.....buffed up afterwards with a soft cotton/microfibre cloth and left "open" to ensure all dries/evaporates away.

In the 10 mins since my last post, I've just gone and cleaned up the lens in my latest purchase....a german "Wirgin" folder.....Only a little mould etc on the glassware but now squeaky clean.....will leave the camera open whilst i have lunch to air through ....job done!

As for smell ...it's negligible!

Hmm... probably a bit off topic, but is white wine vinegar the same as white vinegar?

ok what I've got is white vinegar ...8% acidity

what i have is french so can't help directly as to what you can purchase in the UK.....

I hadn't really given a thought to white wine vinegar.....interesting question!

OK a very quick google would appear that wine wine vinegar or white vinegar can be used to remove fungus from products....Can't confirm regards using it on lenses but as i say, i can't see it being a problem personally....perhaps do some more in depth searches??

What lens is it that your cleaning btw....an old folder??

Thanks for checking for me. The internet is very mixed on it - obviously they are different products, but I think I'll stay safe and get some bog standard white vinegar, it's pretty cheap as far as I'm aware.

Something completely different to an old folder - a Yashica Electro 35 GTN.

Thanks for checking for me. The internet is very mixed on it - obviously they are different products, but I think I'll stay safe and get some bog standard white vinegar, it's pretty cheap as far as I'm aware.

Something completely different to an old folder - a Yashica Electro 35 GTN.

White vinegar is acetic acid, which is the same as stop bath, could save yourself a little money and dilute some stop?

Yes should be very cheap ......will last you an eternity probably! .....can be used for a whole host of things around the house!...I'll let you do your own homework there :D

Looks like a nice little number that yashica.....If I didn't have so many of my own toys i could be a little envious!!:D :D

White vinegar is acetic acid, which is the same as stop bath, could save yourself a little money and dilute some stop?

There's nowt you don't know about chems Rob....I can imagine you as some sort of mad proffesor making up all sorts of concoctions!:nuts: :nuts:

Asha said:
There's nowt you don't know about chems Rob....I can imagine you as some sort of mad proffesor making up all sorts of concoctions!:nuts: :nuts:

And quite frequently blowing himself up! ;)

My school chemistry teacher would probably disagree with you there :D

And quite frequently blowing himself up! ;)

:nuts: :geek:

Last edited:

It's a good idea... the problem is, I decided to save myself a little money by not buying stop and using water as a stop :LOL:

Ah well, can't win everything :D

I got myself some distilled vinegar so the Yashica will be getting dismantled in the coming days. Thanks guys - will probably update one of our gear-orientated threads when I can.

freecom2 said:
I got myself some distilled vinegar so the Yashica will be getting dismantled in the coming days. Thanks guys - will probably update one of our gear-orientated threads when I can.

Any chance you could photograph/document your progress ?
Could be a good resource for us Yashica owners.
Thanks in anticipation.

trevorbray said:
Any chance you could photograph/document your progress ?
Could be a good resource for us Yashica owners.
Thanks in anticipation.

Trevor,
I will actually be using one of the photographic guides available online - there are several very good guides, many of which cover disassembly for the purposes of pad of death replacement and others even further.

Unfortunately judging from previous DIY experience my hands will probably be too covered in grease, goo and 1970s manufacturing dirt to be able to work my DSLR...

freecom2 said:
Trevor,
I will actually be using one of the photographic guides available online - there are several very good guides, many of which cover disassembly for the purposes of pad of death replacement and others even further.

Unfortunately judging from previous DIY experience my hands will probably be too covered in grease, goo and 1970s manufacturing dirt to be able to work my DSLR...

Gotcha,I'll be sure to Google if I ever need to get the hammer and wrench out.....

It's one of the most well documented cameras for DIY - I wish others were. But I guess it just shows how much things can go wrong with them to have so many different guides!

If that does not work and you don't want to try ammonia - use just plain old bleach (domestos pure bleach without additives will work) diluted with water a bit. Worked for me a treat.

UPDATE:
White vinegar worked an absolute treat! Just touched the spots of fungus, rubbed it a bit and it was gone in a flash. Some was on the back element, some on the element between the back and the aperture blades, and one was on the front group. Cleaned the area with several passes of distilled water and then a dry cotton bud to dry it off, put it back together and it's completely clean and clear through the lens now (aside from one spot of dust - you can't win them all!).

Thank you all very much for the help - very grateful.

For Trevor: I used this guide for the lens disassembly - http://mattsclassiccameras.com/electro_inside/index.html

and if I ever need to go deeper into the camera I will probably use the service manual - available here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/19302555/Yashica-Electro-35-Service-Manual

Last edited:
UPDATE:
White vinegar worked an absolute treat! Just touched the spots of fungus, rubbed it a bit and it was gone in a flash. Some was on the back element, some on the element between the back and the aperture blades, and one was on the front group. Cleaned the area with several passes of distilled water and then a dry cotton bud to dry it off, put it back together and it's completely clean and clear through the lens now (aside from one spot of dust - you can't win them all!).

Thank you all very much for the help - very grateful.

Excellent news!.....glad we were of help.

First time of doing anything new are always the most nerve wracking...after that it's like water off a ducks back!..

Back