lens help again please

Name
jay
Edit My Images
No
hi guys
another lens question again im looking to get another lens for my 450d as i only have the kit lens (ef-s 18-55 F3.5-5.6 IS). £400 max on the lens unless i chop in the kit lens !

CANON EF-S 18-200MM F3.5-5.6 IS
SIGMA 18-200MM F3.5-6.3 DC OS

these would replace the kit lens or

CANON EF-S 55-250MM F4.0-5.6 IS and keep the kit lens :shrug:

am i right in thinking that the canon lens would be better than the sigma lens ? Any help on this would be great thanks

From what I can remember the kit lens is actually pretty good.

Tell us what you'd like to photograph that the kit lens makes impossible or difficult and we'll be better informed to makes some recommendations.

To reiterate my reply to your PM jabbiebee, the Canon 18-200 is better than the Sigma, and it is also compatible with the Canon's DPP raw processing software which goes a long way to correcting residual CA, distortion and vignetting. Furthermore, it is also future-proofed so that as and when Canon gets around to incorporating this image enhancing stuff into in-camera JPEG processing, you're covered.

On the other hand, the EF-S 55-250 is a damn fine little lens and will give you even more reach for £220. And both this lens and your kit lens are included in the DPP enhancement software :)

If I were you and I was just looking for some better glass and a bit more range I'd keep the kit lens.

Buy a Canon 50mm F/1.8 A great lens for really artistic or low light work. One of these will set you back about £75

Then I'd get the Sigma 70-300 F/4.5-5.6 APO which would give you some reach. These are about £170 new.

The you'll have three lenses. You can keep the kit lens which on the whole does a good job and lets you get wide open at 18mm - the 50mm will allow you to express more creativity and the sigma will open up the world of telephoto photography for you and you'll only have spent £220!

I'm not a big fan of the do everything lenses like the 18-200 imho the only thing those are good for are as holiday lenses where you can only really take one lens.

Another alternative would be to look around for a second hand Canon 70-200 F/4L you may find one for your budget and that would open up some possibilities for you.

If I were you and I was just looking for some better glass and a bit more range I'd keep the kit lens.

Buy a Canon 50mm F/1.8 A great lens for really artistic or low light work. One of these will set you back about £75

Then I'd get the Sigma 70-300 F/4.5-5.6 APO which would give you some reach. These are about £170 new.

The you'll have three lenses. You can keep the kit lens which on the whole does a good job and lets you get wide open at 18mm - the 50mm will allow you to express more creativity and the sigma will open up the world of telephoto photography for you and you'll only have spent £220!

I'm not a big fan of the do everything lenses like the 18-200 imho the only thing those are good for are as holiday lenses where you can only really take one lens.

Another alternative would be to look around for a second hand Canon 70-200 F/4L you may find one for your budget and that would open up some possibilities for you.

Lol, and those three lens what be what I have for my 450d :)

And yea, the 70-200 f4L is the next step (for replacing the sigma anyway) But thats really only needed if you need faster autofocusing and a larger aperture at the long end (losing macro and the 200-300mm range, which is a fairly big sacrifice, depending on what you are shooting)

I got a used Canonn 70-300mm IS USM off here and it gives really good IQ - very sharp and good colour rendition.

Thanks guys for the info i called the shop today and they dont have any of the 18-200 or 70-300 for that matter im goinf to forget about the 18-200 and get the canon ef-s 55-250 F4.0-5.6 IS lens im sure this will be a good lens

Canon 70-300mm IS is my recommendation. A very good lens indeed - better than the 55-250 and certainly than any 18-200. PM Kerso - I think you'll find a new one stretches your budget very little.

Back