lens help!

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Im looking at getting a new lens and im stuck between the Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro Lens and the canon efs 55-250mm lens. I have about 180 quid to spend, are these any good or are there better ones I could get?

I had the Tamron for my 400d and thought it was the bomb for the money and the macro was a handy wee extra, it's sounds like a gimic but i have used this (not true macro)function many times and got some nice shots.

One vote for Tamron....

55-250 has IS. Very few lenses in this (price) range have. Big advantage ;)

may sound like a daft question but I need the lens for long distant shots, would this be any good?

may sound like a daft question but I need the lens for long distant shots, would this be any good?

Long distance shots of what? Wildlife? aircraft?

Neither of these lenses are great, personally, if you can wait a bit and increase the budget, I would look at the canon 70-300mm IS f4-5.6, this is probably the best budget lens for the ££'s around and will knock socks off the tamron 70-300mm, canon 55-250mm or sigma's 70-300mm offering, but its more than double your budget at around £400. You might be luck and pick one up 2nd hand, one went for about £300 not so long ago on TP. It might be more, but personally I would save some more money and get the better lens.

I would also consider the Sigma 70-300mm APO version and it's not to bad on the money side.

Back