Lens Hood

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
I had a quich search, but what do lens hoods do

I read they can be reversed to protect the lens

but what can they do when your shooting pics with them?? help with light??

Thanks

Phil

Lens hoods have a couple of purposes

The main intended purpose is to reduce flare caused by light entering the lens from the fringes.

However the hod will also offer a degree of protection to the front element - more so on telephoto lenses. A reversed hood will not protect the lens where it counts, if you have a hood and are shooting, use it in the correct orientation.

i am looking at getting a sigma lens - 70-300, a hood on that will be useful

would it help the standard lens with the 450d??

thanks

Phil

The hood on a 70-300 will definitly be useful - it is a nice deep hood so provided plenty of protection for the front element as well as redusing stray light (Sidenote, make sure you buy the APO version, much better lens).

The standard lens is the 18-55 IS yes? I would expect a hood to be useful there - you may not see a difference 90% of the time but that remining 10% will shot a marked improvement

disclaimer: statistics made up on the spot as example only

yeah i think it is an IS lens

Yeah i lookin a tthe apo version to get me started

seen it in jessops for 199 so will look at that to play with and practice

yeah i think it is an IS lens

Yeah i lookin a tthe apo version to get me started

seen it in jessops for 199 so will look at that to play with and practice

I think that you will get a hood with a Sigma lens as standard.

If you have a hood use it, will help keep stray greasy fingers away from the lens, it will keep stray light out and improve contrast, and it will help prevent damage to your front element.

You do get a hood with the Sigma 70-300 APO and if after playing with one in Jessops ive got an as new one going cheap.

euan, you have pm

also, just looking i cant find what hood i need for the 18-55 canon lens on the jessops site

I'm glad I bought the sigma lens a month ago, it was £50 cheaper at Jessops.

I'm also interested in hoods, are they more useful on zoom lenses, what about something like a nifty-fifty?

I've got a hood for all of my lenses, including the nifty fifty, mainly to protect them from anything that might brush past the front element, or incase they get dropped.

any help finding one for my canon 15-55 lens please

cant see one on the jessops site

tar

feebs

lens hoods have saved my front elelments several times and also cured some flare i would have got if it wasn't on the lens.

are there any differences between the rounded lens hoods, and the flower looking ones?

also, i have both the 18-55 kit lens and also the 55 - 250 zoom lens for my 450D - Do i need 2 diffenet hoods?

thanks

are there any differences between the rounded lens hoods, and the flower looking ones?

also, i have both the 18-55 kit lens and also the 55 - 250 zoom lens for my 450D - Do i need 2 diffenet hoods?

thanks

Looks like it, ET 60 is the one for the 55-250

I've got the Siggy 70-300 APO too, superb for the cost, but, an example where I've found the hood useful.

I tried photting the moon from the back garden, although the back garden is pretty dark, I live in a fairly big town, and the orange cast from the street lights was making my attempts useless. Somebody, suggested using the hood, I did, made the world of difference in keeping out light pollution.

Pete

Back