Lens advise needed for Nikon D750 ( mainly zooms - 24-70 & 70-200)

Name
Ray
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,

I have been fortunate to have a Nikon DSLR passed on to me, along with 2 primes - 35mm 1.8G FX, 85mm 1.8G.

However, I have been using mirrorless for a long time now and I use small primes on my NEX.

I was wondering if you guys have any experience with the newer Tamron lenses, with the VC.

When I e-mailed Panamoz, I was given the impression that the 24-70 and 70-200 were not in stock, not because they are constantly sold out due to popularity, but because they had too many returns due to bad QC regarding these 2 particular lenses. How true is this in your experience?

My options were to spend around £1000. Either keeping the 35 and 85 Nikon primes, then buying a 2nd hand Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr 1 (or vr 2 if the price is right).

Or selling the 35, 85 primes and using the money to get the Tamron 24-70 and 70-200, new.

What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Don't know about the Tammys but the Nikon f2.8 70-200mm & f2.8 24-70mm lenses are fabulous and have been using them for a few years now. Maybe Tamron's QC dept are not quite so on the ball? You pays your money and takes your choice!

Rumour has it that Nikon are about to release a VR version of the f2.8 24-70mm which may be another reason why retailers are keeping stocks low, as the VR will almost certainly see a price drop when the new lens comes out and demand for the new Nikon will likely be good, given this lens's all rounder capability on FF cameras.

Last edited:
Don't know about the Tammys but the Nikon f2.8 70-200mm & f2.8 24-70mm lenses are fabulous and have been using them for a few years now. Maybe Tamron's QC dept are not quite so on the ball? You pays your money and takes your choice!

Rumour has it that Nikon are about to release a VR version of the f2.8 24-70mm which may be another reason why retailers are keeping stocks low, as the VR will almost certainly see a price drop when the new lens comes out and demand for the new Nikon will likely be good, given this lens's all rounder capability on FF cameras.

Thanks shred for the reply. I would love to go that route, but unfortunately I don't have the funds for both the Nikon versions. I used to have the 24-70 Nikon 2.8 and the Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr 1 way back when I had my D700. But after switching systems back and forth, I settled for a fairly cheap set up with the Sony NEX.

If I was to get the brand name Nikon, I think I could only afford either one (70-200 being priority at the moment).

I'm not a professional photographer, so I wouldn't say that I need the best in image quality or robustness in a lens. But obviously I don't want to spend money on junk either :D

I used to have the mentality that only brand name will do for the camera I'm shooting (canon lens for canon body, Nikon for Nikon etc). But since using the the sigma 30 and 60 2.8 DN lenses on my NEX, and all the things I read about the newer lenses coming from the third party manufacturers, I'm undecided now.

Last edited:
Don't worry Ray, few of us have that sort of loose change all at the same time, although a few good contracts work wonders in justifying it!

Strangely I favour the f2.8 70-200mm for a lot of shots I do and have few complaints since I got it. (Good thing is it outlasts most of the cameras too).

I have been looking for a 70-200 over the last few weeks and from looking at reviews the Tamron 70-200 VC is a super lens (according to DXO as well). I found one on Ebay (grey import) for £750 and almost went for it.

I really wanted the Nikon 70-200 VRii but it was out of my price range until one came up for a good price on here and made my mind up. I want to be able to add TCs on odd occasions and the Tamron VC did not look to easily offer that option (I already have a Nikon TC for my large birding lens)

If I was just looking at using the lens at 70-200 then I think I would have gone for the Tamron VC due to price, image quality and VC operation.

Dave.

Are you using the vr2 or the vr1 shreds?

For the Tamron 24-70 and 70-200, new from Digitalrev. I'm looking at around £1400ish after adding what I get from the sale of the 35 and 85 to the existing 1000 budget.

Realistically, how much would the 24-70 Nikon and 70-200 Nikon (vr1 or vr2) cost me if I were to buy, used?

Would the 24-120 f4 vr and 70-200 f4 vr be alternative options that I can look in to maybe? Or will I regret it, coming from fast primes to using f4?

How much did you pay for your 70-200 vr2 Nikon Dave, if you don't mind me asking.

As I mentioned, I have been looking at a few routes I could take. If I kept the primes I maybe able to stretch to the vr2 if the price is right.

I've got the 70-200 vc and it's a great lens. I use it for portraits, and by I'm no means an expert, but it's nice and sharp, colours seem good, focus is fast and vc is works when needed. The vc is a bit clunky when tracking subjects, it doesn't seem as quite as smooth as nikon. As others have said it also doesn't take tele convertors, your only option seems to be the kenko's from research but they reduces iq greatly according to reviews. For my purposes it's a great lens and I've no regrets over choosing it, if I was buying it and was going to shoot sport or wildlife I'd probably have went for the nikon VR1 the VR2 unfortunately was not in my price range. That said from a picture taking point of view I'm very happy with the results it produces, I bought mine used and it's worked flawlessly so far.

The only practical difference between the Nikon 70-200 VR1 & VRII apart from the price, is that there is a small amount of vignetting visible on a FF camera, but on a DX camera no visible issue at all.

(The VRII has a slightly broader barrel at the mount end to deal with the vignetting issues compared to the VR1, which was actually in production before Nikon went down the route of producing FF digital cameras).

If I wasn't using a FF I would suggest the VR1 is the better bet and s/h will be a relative bargain nowadays, as I think Nikon withdrew it when they produced the VRII. Not been keeping up with VR1 prices, but I have seen the VRII new as low as £1300 without venturing into the grey market.

S/H Mifsuds currently advertising both VR1 & VRII examples at £799

Last edited:
the 70 200 f2.8VR Nikon is quite a long and heavy lens
much larger than any you would have used on your NEX ....... it is not something that you can hang around your neck with ease
Have you checked one out at a dealers?

It is a very good lens and versatile

I've got the 70-200 vc and it's a great lens. I use it for portraits, and by I'm no means an expert, but it's nice and sharp, colours seem good, focus is fast and vc is works when needed. The vc is a bit clunky when tracking subjects, it doesn't seem as quite as smooth as nikon. As others have said it also doesn't take tele convertors, your only option seems to be the kenko's from research but they reduces iq greatly according to reviews. For my purposes it's a great lens and I've no regrets over choosing it, if I was buying it and was going to shoot sport or wildlife I'd probably have went for the nikon VR1 the VR2 unfortunately was not in my price range. That said from a picture taking point of view I'm very happy with the results it produces, I bought mine used and it's worked flawlessly so far.

Thanks for the reply, I've never used a TC and I don't think I will do any time in the future. I don't shoot sports or birds either, so this would definitely be a lens worth considering for me!

The only practical difference between the Nikon 70-200 VR1 & VRII apart from the price, is that there is a small amount of vignetting visible on a FF camera, but on a DX camera no visible issue at all.

(The VRII has a slightly broader barrel at the mount end to deal with the vignetting issues compared to the VR1, which was actually in production before Nikon went down the route of producing FF digital cameras).

If I wasn't using a FF I would suggest the VR1 is the better bet and s/h will be a relative bargain nowadays, as I think Nikon withdrew it when they produced the VRII. Not been keeping up with VR1 prices, but I have seen the VRII new as low as £1300 without venturing into the grey market.

S/H Mifsuds currently advertising both VR1 & VRII examples at £799

I'll have a look at the vr1's again, I'm just worried that it's an older lens now, and discontinued. But I guess with a well looked after copy, it shouldn't really matter :)

the 70 200 f2.8VR Nikon is quite a long and heavy lens
much larger than any you would have used on your NEX ....... it is not something that you can hang around your neck with ease
Have you checked one out at a dealers?

It is a very good lens and versatile

I have owned the 70-200 2.8 Nikon vr1 before in the past when I had my D700.

My main concern this time is the price of the Nikon's, 2nd hand, and how the newer offerings from the third party manufacturers fair. As I don't have as much to spend this time round :(

I have recently purchased the 70-200 sp vcd from Wex. It did need a bit of focus fine tuning +8 but I find it a fantastic sharp lens. The VC is also excellent. In comparison to other images I have seen from the Nikon version I would say the Tamron is as sharp and I think DXO confirms this. Maybe the Nikon version is a tad faster and no doubt better built but so far I am very impressed. I would say it was on a par with my Nikon 24-70 and Sigma 35 art lenses.

I have recently purchased the 70-200 sp vcd from Wex. It did need a bit of focus fine tuning +8 but I find it a fantastic sharp lens. The VC is also excellent. In comparison to other images I have seen from the Nikon version I would say the Tamron is as sharp and I think DXO confirms this. Maybe the Nikon version is a tad faster and no doubt better built but so far I am very impressed. I would say it was on a par with my Nikon 24-70 and Sigma 35 art lenses.

How will I go about fine tuning the focus if its slightly out? I've never done it to any of my lenses in the past and the option isn't available on my mirrorless.

Did your Nikon 24-70 need it? Or have you found it to be the case mostly with your third party lenses?

How will I go about fine tuning the focus if its slightly out? I've never done it to any of my lenses in the past and the option isn't available on my mirrorless.
You don't need to AF fine tune on Mirrorless cameras as the camera is focussing from the what the sensor is actually seeing (in contrast form) - so should always be spot on.

You don't need to AF fine tune on Mirrorless cameras as the camera is focussing from the what the sensor is actually seeing (in contrast form) - so should always be spot on.

That'll probably be why I haven't seen the option in the menu then :D

I meant to say, if I do pick up the Tamron options and they needed to have fine focus adjusting, how will I go about it on the Nikon :)

I have had to fine tune a couple of lenses but never a Nikon one. The option if you have it is under the menu with the spanner. If you are front focussing then give it a + adjustment or - adjustment for back focussing. Real easy to do and all lenses should be checked for critical focussing.

What body do you have? There's an AF fine tune option in the setup menu though focus on my lens was fine.
I have had to fine tune a couple of lenses but never a Nikon one. The option if you have it is under the menu with the spanner. If you are front focussing then give it a + adjustment or - adjustment for back focussing. Real easy to do and all lenses should be checked for critical focussing.

It's a D750, can I use anything static as a subject? Or do I need something more specific? Also is it just a matter of test/adjust/retest until the result is consistent? With a zoom, do I test at various focal lengths or just one?

How much did you pay for your 70-200 vr2 Nikon Dave, if you don't mind me asking.

As I mentioned, I have been looking at a few routes I could take. If I kept the primes I maybe able to stretch to the vr2 if the price is right.

It was £975 used - bought it at the weekend in the sales section on here. Should have it on Saturday :)

MPB and Wex want about £300 more than that for a used Mk2 but you will get a warranty.

You would be better searching for Nikon lens micro adjust on Google and see what videos it offers - much easier than trying to explain.

I have had to adjust 3rd party and Nikon lenses - so you may need to do it whatever you buy.

There are differences between VR1 and VR2 - again a search will give you plenty of details.

Dave.

Last edited:
24-70mm and 70-200mm and both superb performing lenses, I did sell the Nikon one recently due to lack of use as my 16-35mm gets used more for landscapes, I still use the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII which is superb lens to use and doesn't weigh hardly anything. Either of them are a great addition to your kit :)

It was £975 used - bought it at the weekend in the sales section on here. Should have it on Saturday :)

MPB and Wex want about £300 more than that for a used Mk2 but you will get a warranty.
Dave.

£975! I didn't realise the vr2 could be had for under £1k, there might be hope for me yet :D

D750 passed on to you! wow!! wish someone would pass one on to me lol :)

It pays to have a brother who has more money than sense, and indecisive! :D

24-70mm and 70-200mm and both superb performing lenses, I did sell the Nikon one recently due to lack of use as my 16-35mm gets used more for landscapes, I still use the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII which is superb lens to use and doesn't weigh hardly anything. Either of them are a great addition to your kit :)

Hi Joe,

As mentioned, if i go the exclusively Nikon route, I'll be buying only the 70-200. Then keeping the 35, 85.

But if I go third party (Tamron being main choice at the moment), I'm thinking of getting both the Tamron 24-70 and the 70-200.

Have you used either of those two lenses? :)

Hi Joe,

As mentioned, if i go the exclusively Nikon route, I'll be buying only the 70-200. Then keeping the 35, 85.

But if I go third party (Tamron being main choice at the moment), I'm thinking of getting both the Tamron 24-70 and the 70-200.

Have you used either of those two lenses? :)

I have used the old Tamron 70-200mm which had good IQ not as good as the 70-200mm Nikon VR2 and the focus was terrible, can't comment on the newer version myself though :)

I have used the old Tamron 70-200mm which had good IQ not as good as the 70-200mm Nikon VR2 and the focus was terrible, can't comment on the newer version myself though :)

Agree 100% - got a second hand non VR Tamron from Wex a few weeks ago and had to return it as it missed focus even on slow moving things. A bargain if you don't need quick focus though.

Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated.

I have put up a thread in the wanted section and see what comes my way.

I have decided, in order of preference:

1: Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1
2: Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR2 (dependent on price)
3: Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC (depending on 2nd hand price, might buy new)

I had a sigma 70-200 but then upgraded to a vr2. Brilliant lens. I recall buying it on 6 months 0% from jessops. Spread the hit out for me!!

I had a sigma 70-200 but then upgraded to a vr2. Brilliant lens. I recall buying it on 6 months 0% from jessops. Spread the hit out for me!!

My brother had the Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS, I was actually the one who helped him sell it on this forum lol :D But back then, he didn't like carrying the weight on his travels, and I was still shooting (and preferred) my mirrorless.

I've always thought about buying on finance, but hesitant when it comes to pulling the trigger. If I can get it cheaper, I will try and get it cheaper :)

I have a Sigma 24-70 f2.8 and it's superb. They seem to go for around the £250 mark used in a private sale but obviously more through a dealer. Can't help with the long lens issue other than to say that my elderly Nikkor 80-200 (non-VR) gives lovely results but is too bloody heavy for comfort so if you are thinking of using the lens whilst out trekking about take the weight into account before you buy....

I have a Sigma 24-70 f2.8 and it's superb. They seem to go for around the £250 mark used in a private sale but obviously more through a dealer. Can't help with the long lens issue other than to say that my elderly Nikkor 80-200 (non-VR) gives lovely results but is too bloody heavy for comfort so if you are thinking of using the lens whilst out trekking about take the weight into account before you buy....

Thanks Barryboy, which Sigma 24-70 2.8 is it? I've checked a few out online and they seem to be different in appearance to each other.

Is it the latest one, with the smooth finish? Or the older one with the matt finish paint on it?

I brought the Tamron 70-200 with my d750 and absolutely love it. It's really sharp at all lengths and quick to focus as for build quality it may not quite match the Nikon but for my non professional use it feels more than up to the job.
I paid £700 and think that's a bargain for a lens of this quality.

The Tamron is definitely on the cards. However I've just been offered a Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR1, mint, for £750. I think the cheapest I found the Tamron for is, £759 from digitalrev.

I'll have a look at the Nikon first and if that doesn't go through, I'll buy the Tamron new.

if your prepared to take a very small risk to stay in budget wex have a nikon vr1 for £630, dust in lens but they state optical performance not affected so could always return and will have a warranty buying from them.

Also panamoz does the tamron for 650 via bacs but currently out of stock. may be worth an email.

Last edited:
if your prepared to take a very small risk to stay in budget wex have a nikon vr1 for £630, dust in lens but they state optical performance not affected so could always return and will have a warranty buying from them.

Also panamoz does the tamron for 650 via bacs but currently out of stock. may be worth an email.

I'll definitely look in to that, thanks for the heads up :)

I have e-mailed Panamoz regarding the Tamron 70-200mm, but the e-mail I got back wasn't what I was expecting.

Tina from Panamoz stated that it's not out of stock due to popularity, but they have temporarily put it out of stock due to too many being returned due to QC problems. Same goes for the reason the 24-70 is also out of stock on their site.

But from what I'm hearing from users on this forum, they all seem to love theirs and have not had problems at all. Would it be worth me asking Panamoz to order one in for me for the price they have quoted on their site, take the risk?

sorry forgot you said that in op, hard to say they'll know more than me on numbers, they may have just had a bad batch or could be a run of buyers remorse regretting buying 3rd party. I think it's a great lens but I can only speak from a sample of one, if you're ordering from china and asking them to special order not sure how easy it would be to return if there is an issue. Given they offer their own warranty it may be questionable if they'd even do it.

Got a reply from Panamoz, pretty much the same answer as before :) therefore that route is not available.

Cheapest now will be Digitalrev, or a mint second hand copy. Or the VR1. Then if I'm REALLY lucky, maybe a VR2 might come my way at the price Dave paid :D

Back