Lens problem

Name
George
Edit My Images
No
Hi folks new member and new to photography I only have a entry level camera at the moment a nikon D3400 and a few lenses I recently purchased a used nikon nikkor 80 200mm 1:4.5.6D which I was led to believe was comparable with my nikon D3400 but when I attach the lens to my camera body it comes up on the screan lens not compatible I don't understand why can someone help with advice all my other lens work fine am I doing something something wrong or is the lens faulty

Hi George, And welcome aboard TP, looking forward to hearing from you and maybe seeing some of your images on the various forums. "Enjoy"

Nikon lenses with a D suffix do not contain a focus motor. They need a body which contains a motor to drive them via a ‘screwdriver slot’

entry level camera bodies do not include a motor

Nikon lenses with a D suffix do not contain a focus motor. They need a body which contains a motor to drive them via a ‘screwdriver slot’

entry level camera bodies do not include a motor
Thanks for your reply I have spoke to the seller and he has agreed to a full refund as it was not listed as a D suffix lens problem solved

I'd suggest a 55-200 AF-S VRII or a 70-300 AF-P DX lens if you are sending it back. Both are pretty good and very light.

AF lenses are usually compatible with non motor bodies, just without autofocus capability (manual focus only). As it's a D series lens, did you lock the aperture at it's maximum value/minimum opening? That's meant to cause issues if you don't.

Back