Lens recommendation?

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking for something to replace the kit lens that came with my EOS 400D (18-55mm f/3.5-5.6)

It will be for indoor shots in not the best lighting conditions (can't use flash etc). Prefer to retain the wide angle.

Could anyone recommend a decent quality lens as I've spent the last 3 hours looking at all sorts and can't make a decision due to my lack of experience.

Cheers
Graham

I am in the market for the same at present for concert photography.

I have a 50 mm fixed canon f/1.8 which is great for shooting pics at gigs and indoor shots but the downside is there is no zoom.

However I am looking to get a 24-60/70 sigma lens witha f/2.8 which sould do the job nicely.

There are plenty of 20mm and 24mm prime sigma lenses on flee bay all with f/1.8 that are good prices.

All depends if you want a prime lens or a zoom.

Mike

If it's of any interest, I have a three day old 24-105 f4L IS lens for £510 plus post, please see the for sale board.

Cheers!
James

I am tempted with the Canon 18-55 with IS as I'm sure I heard that although it's similar specs it is much better than the kit lens (and has IS).

But from all the research I've done I'm reckoning I need at least f/2.8 or faster.

Sorry, edit. Prime lens is no good. Something like an 18-55 but with with at least f/2.8 would be ideal.

What you don't want then is a fish eye lens

Your best bet is the Sigma 20mm lens at f/1.8

If you can afford it canon do a prime lens range from 20-24mm that are in the mid £300-£700. Most all have a f/1.8 or f/2.8.

Mike

I would highly recommend a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. Its a superb lens and works well as a replacement to the kit lens. (Talking from personal experience)

You should be able to pick one up around the £200 mark. (y)

is that lens a fixed f/2.8 at 70mm?

Mike

I replaced mine with a Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 USM IS which I got for £249 which is a great price and so far its been a really good lens. The 3stop IS is very nice too just would be nice if it was a f3.5 not a f4.

:canon:

Just one thing, don't make the mistake of buying EF-S lenses if in the future a 5D or other Full-Frame Canon is a potential upgrade, they won't work!

Cheers,
James

Just one thing, don't make the mistake of buying EF-S lenses if in the future a 5D or other Full-Frame Canon is a potential upgrade, they won't work!

Yeh I did think about that but then I thought I would keep my 400D as a second body anyway so didn't really matter to much.

Going to go for a prime 28mm at the most and very fast. Something like the Canon 24mm 1.4 but that I don't have to secure my house against.

Back