Lens Service

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
My wife put my Nikon 70-200 AFS 11 in for a service. I was quoted at £130 plus vat and any parts would be extra however my wife came back with a receipt for handing over the lens and it states £210-£250 plus vat for the same service. Has anyone had a similar lens serviced to get a rough estimate of what quote is the closest to other places. Cheers.

Last edited:
Give Nikon Service a call and ask them. If it's just a service (i.e. you are not aware of an actual problem) then they will be able to give you a price over the phone.

Where have you taken it for the service?

Holty, I put the lens into AJ Johnstone in Glasgow. They thought on first getting the lens that it may require just a service however I’m still waiting on info and when I can pick it up. It’s been several weeks now even though they said they would get back to me, I need to mail them today to find out what is happening with it.

Last edited:
Holly, I put the lens into AJ Johnstone in Glasgow. They thought on first getting the lens that it may require just a service however I’m still waiting on info and when I can pick it up. It’s been several weeks now even though they said they would get back to me, I need to mail them today to find out what is happening with it.

They are probably the best place to go. I'd query the bill though as it seems high. Normally they phone you if it is going to need over and above repairs. I've had camera's and lens's maintained there for seven years and only ever had incredibly helpful service.

Yeah mate, they are Nikon repairers so worth getting it done right. The 2 quotes were what i can make out for a similar service from them. I did email them when my wife told me the new quote and got an abrupt reply which they could have worded better. They said they would start it early W/C 7th and give it a full service but not heard anything since then. Will contact them mid week if i haven't heard anything. My first time using them so not sold on them yet given the 2 quotes and lack of contact.

Last edited:
Yeah mate, they are Nikon repairers so worth getting it done right. The 2 quotes were what i can make out for a similar service from them. I did email them when my wife told me the new quote and got an abrupt reply which they could have worded better. They said they would start it early W/C 7th and give it a full service but not heard anything since then. Will contact them mid week if i haven't heard anything. My first time using them so not sold on them yet given the 2 quotes and lack of contact.

I find with them it is always better to pop in physically and speak to them then and there - they're good but it's not a modern type business like amazon, face to face works better I find when dealing with them and you can clarify stuff with them on the spot.

Latest update, they were waiting on parts from Japan as Nikon UK didn’t have any. Parts came in today and have been fitted.

The work is-
Replace key/guide set
Overhaul the motor
Overhaul the mr reader
Optical calibration and centring to Nikon standards.

No idea what the cost is yet but lens will be ready by late afternoon so will pop in and get it on Fri or Sat

anyone have a schematic diagram to show the key/guide set so I can see what needed done.

Last edited:
you'll need to sell some of your kit to pay for this repair :ROFLMAO:
does no one repair cameras or lens on the side as homers
im a gas fitter and do homers all the time so does every other trade

how did you get on wi the lens repair ?
what did they do ?
what did they charge ?

Holty, they did the below-

The work is-
Replace key/guide set
Overhaul the motor
Overhaul the mr reader
Optical calibration and centring to Nikon standards.

They said there was no signs of impact damage etc so just one of those things. Total cost was £276 incl vat.

Back