Lens

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All ,I am looking for some advice.
I am looking to purchase a new lens for sports photography.
Advice please ,prime ,zoom I am thinking 300mm 2.8 my budget is around
£2000.00 what worth looking at
Thanks guys
mark

you might be able to pick up a non VR 300 f/2.8 for that. the 300 f/4 can be had for around £700 s/h after that there's the 70-200 f/2.8, you don't really need VR or maybe the sigma 120-300, bit of a compromise lens.....

I use a sigma 150 500mm at the moment on a d300s.its ok but I dont get that pin sharp look and it does struggle in low light.
I have been looking at a sigma 300mm 2.8 prime lens that comes in around 2k
do you know much about this lens
thanks Mark

Would I need to consider a converter also I am a bit of a novice so not sure
thanks

I use a sigma 150 500mm at the moment on a d300s.its ok but I dont get that pin sharp look and it does struggle in low light.
I have been looking at a sigma 300mm 2.8 prime lens that comes in around 2k
do you know much about this lens
thanks Mark

No personal experience of the Nikon version of the sigma 300 f/2.8. I would be inclined to go for the Nikon 300 at the price Andy (Tobers mentioned)

Would I need to consider a converter also I am a bit of a novice so not sure
thanks

it depends what sports your shooting really, 300 on a D300 should be fine for football, you could easily stick a 1.4 convertor on it to give you 420mm at f/4

Under floodlights you might struggle with the TC on your D300 but for good natural light it should work nicely

The main sport I would be shooting is cricket

1.4 or 1.7 on D300 then you might need to crop a bit also. It depends if you are doing local park cricket or at bigger grounds., i used 1.7 on a 400 and D3S last year AT Old Trafford and found it still needed some cropping

Some examples

Nice work Andy some great shots !!!!!!
When you say crop them do you mean in camera or in ps
Thanks
I have also set up a website with some of my pic I would really appreciate your opinion
thanks Mark

Nice work Andy some great shots !!!!!!
When you say crop them do you mean in camera or in ps
Thanks
I have also set up a website with some of my pic I would really appreciate your opinion
thanks Mark

cropped in Post Processing, i was shooting on full frame :)

Will take a look at your shots tomorrow (y) work at 2am :thumbsdown:

Hi Mark

I used to shoot at Pudsey Congs up Swinnow rd in the Bradford League with a d3, 300mm and 1.4x and it was just about good enough, you wont have any problems with a crop camera and the same lens combination, in fact youll be good without the 1.4x as its a relativly small ground.

However some grounds like Cleckheaton will need the 1.4x as well

Last edited:
I've used the Nikon 300mm 2.8 for football... it's a cracking lens.. i was shooting championship matches, but at the home ground, the lights weren't brilliant... however, this lens performed brilliantly giving sharp, crisp images everytime. Not sure if it would be long enough for cricket though, may need a 400mm to get in on the action...

Moey!

Your right Mark, apologies rather tired and on edge at the moment, got 3 days of dodging pirates to look fwd too :puke:

OK - slightly off topic.......

I'm intrigued - planned photoshoot, or are you sailing through the Gulf of Aden? :LOL:

Hi All ,I am looking for some advice.
I am looking to purchase a new lens for sports photography.
Advice please ,prime ,zoom I am thinking 300mm 2.8 my budget is around
£2000.00 what worth looking at
Thanks guys
mark

How about Sigma 120-300mm 2.8 with either 1.4 X / 2 X converter all three for £ 2000.? new just a thought.

How about Sigma 120-300mm 2.8 with either 1.4 X / 2 X converter all three for £ 2000.? new just a thought.

I used the 120-300 2.8 that Sigma is offering (Cricket and Rugby)but with the 2x TC (Canon MK2) I found the images a bit soft, with the Canon 1.4 mk2 TC it was a lot better but found the reach to be a little limiting sometimes. Big heavy lens especially with the TC's attached.

As the updated version with OS is due out in a couple of months, I wouldn't suggest a new copy of the lens because you would be looking at an exaggerated depreciation. Second hand ones can be had for £900-1200 depending on the state of them; apart from which you can get a fairly shiny Canon 300mm non IS for sub £2000 nowadays.

As for the weight, it's only 100g more than the Canon IS Tug! :D

As the updated version with OS is due out in a couple of months, I wouldn't suggest a new copy of the lens because you would be looking at an exaggerated depreciation. Second hand ones can be had for £900-1200 depending on the state of them; apart from which you can get a fairly shiny Canon 300mm non IS for sub £2000 nowadays.

As for the weight, it's only 100g more than the Canon IS Tug! :D

Like i said it was just a thought, but i will be trying the set-up out myselfe this season anyway. A Canon F 2.8- 300 / 400 mm & converters would prob be better but i do not have them.

Thanks very much for your advice Gary ,i appreciate it.
I am quite new to this game.could I ask you about cropping and how you do it.
Thanks
Mark

Back