Beginner Lens

Name
Roy Newport
Edit My Images
No
Hi again,sorry but looking for views,
I have a canon 7d mkii and will not be changing it for years,the lenses I have are
Canon 50mm 1.8 nifty and I love it.
Canon L Lens 100mm 2.8 and love it.
Canon non is L 70-200 and I gutted I never went for IS and will possibily sell it.
Sigma wide angle 10-22 I think without looking f5-6 and not so sharpe.( my view)
I want a walk about lens and I'm thinking 17-55 lens,I have thought about a L Lens 24-105 new on eBay for about £425 but is it right for my crop sensor end camera and given the lenses I have?many thanks in advance,I'm just at a loss what to buy.

Can't speak for the 17-55 (although it comes universally recommended on crop sensor) but I thoroughly love my 24-105L on a 60D. You have a good problem on your hands :)

The 105 is a great lens for both crop and FF.

Is it also good for landscapes?the f4.
I've just taken this photo out of my front door with a old kit lens I found off my old 400d it's a 18-55 f3.5 ,is the quality much better on the new 17-55 which costs about £525?

As you already have a sigma 10-20mm there is not much point in a 17-55 unless you are in dire need of f2.8
Get the 24-105 L , then sell the 70-200 (you won't need it) and pick up a good used 100-400 L then you have all your bases covered and if you ever decide you want an FF camera all of your lenses except the sigma will fit.

Many thanks again troutfisher,until recently I had the older version of 100-400 but traded it in for the 100 macro 2-8 ,it had a fault and I got a great trading price so it had to go,I do need a 100-400 but shall have to wait £1900 plus is a lot but my sons a pro rugby player and it was when working excellent for games.
Many thanks again for all the replies I'm now off to EBay to purchase one,it's new and a few hundred pounds cheaper than Jessops,apparently they come from a kit and have been separated.

These lenses on EBay are imports are their any differences?

Probably OK , certainly very cheap but watch the warranty and returns policy.
MPB has them from around £400 upwards. Personally I would buy one from them

I just wanted to put my fingers into a gap of closed door ;):
I had canon system - and I had nearly the same lenses as you have:
- 70-200 f2.8 was the less used lens from my equipment - was to heavy, (I wasn't sport photographer so in fact the lens was useless)
- I just wanted Tokina 12-24 MkII (now you can buy 11-16 f 2.8 - some says it is the sharpest UWA even made) - I am the fan of wide angle (sell the 10-20 - it's rubbish) (in my provate opinion there are maybe 3 lenses made by sigma which are worth something - other ones have problems with focusing)
- if you like portrait fotography buy canon 28 f1.8 USM - it is super sharp and you can take a picture of a whole body
- if you want a multipurpouse "street" lens - buy instead 24-105 buy 24-70 f2.8 - I know that is more expensive - but Believe me - IT's WORTH to buy it !!

Many thanks the gap is closing but not closed lol finding it hard to make the final decision.

Now the door is closed,just ordered 24-105 L lens off EBay ,£426-99 free postage.

Now the door is closed,just ordered 24-105 L lens off EBay ,£426-99 free postage.

I am sure you will be very happy with and thank you for letting everyone know,all too frequently one gives help and advice on different forums and get no feedback at all

Back