Lenses for my d200

Name
Ben Gilbert
Edit My Images
No
Im currently using a Nikon D200, with 18-200mm vr, and 70-300mm standard lenses. I shoot alot of motorsport photography, and really struggle in low light, due to the lenses I have not being f2.8, I also enjoy landscape and scenic photography.

Therefore I have a choice, the 70-200mm vr is out of my price range, so thats that. I have been looking at the 80-200mm nikon, (still expensive for an amateur) or the cheaper sigma 70-200mm, im just wondering if anyone out there has any thing to say about these lenses, or in fact is there any othere lenses I could go for?

Thanks in advance. (y)

budget telephoto zoom means you're looking at 70-300 from either Nikon, Sigma or Tamron. I had the Sigma APO version and was very pleased with it until I sold it. All available for around £100 as far as I know. Nikon do a version with VR which is a little more costly. Alternatively, I believe early SH Sigma 70-200s are quite cheap. Add a 1.4 TC and you've got nearly 300mm and f/4.

Thanks for that, but im really looking at a f2.8 lens, as I already have the 70-300mm, thats only f4-f5.6, great in good light, but crap in bad. The 18-200mm is a little better, but that is only at f3.5 when its wide open at 18mm, and I dont like getting that close to the action!!

You could get an old manual focus Tamron Adaptall or Tokina for less than £150 and trap focus. You wouldn't lose much (or anything) if/when you decide to re-sell and in the meantime you have the use of a lens.

For autofocus, Ffordes have several new old stock Tamrons in their Nikon used section at £399, while the new version is about £490 at SRS Microsystems or Park Cameras.

You could get an old manual focus Tamron Adaptall or Tokina for less than £150 and trap focus. You wouldn't lose much (or anything) if/when you decide to re-sell and in the meantime you have the use of a lens.

For autofocus, Ffordes have several new old stock Tamrons in their Nikon used section at £399, while the new version is about £490 at SRS Microsystems or Park Cameras.

Are the tamrons any good? Which would you choose between the tamron and the sigma?

I've got a 50th anniversary Tamron lens. It's only fairly recently that Sigma have upped their game. Tamron lens caps are better ;)

I have been doing a bit of searching, and come across 2 nikon 80-200mm vr lenses, 1 is the Nikon 80-200mm F2.8 D Zoom Nikkor lens, the other is a nikon 80-200mm F2.8 ED AFD nikkor lens, the 2 pictures look different, what is the difference please, and which would be the best one?

I'm no Nikkor expert, but:

E means extra-low dispersion elements (for less chromatic aberration, which is purple fringeing in high contrast areas e.g twigs against the sky).

D means the lens communicates distance info to the camera, which improves flash photography.

If you see a G in the designation, it means there's no aperture ring, and the aperture is controlled by the dial on the camera.

This page will probably tell you what you want to know: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/80-200mm-history.htm

Back