Lenses with 'macro' in the title?

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Does this mean they are only for close up shots, for example a 70-300 macro lens is not the same as a 70-300 lens?

Im a little confused so I appologise for all the questions tonight.

No, I think it means that at their furthest range (i.e 300) you can use them as a macro lens - people will correct me if I'm wrong!

so that means they are better. If im reading that right, it basically means that at 300mm it can still focus on something close to you?

i've got a sigma 70-300mm DG APO lens, which at 300mm has a macro feature.

its not in the same league as a proper macro lens though, but its pretty good.

here's a pic with the macro feature.

Cricket.jpg

True macro lenses will give a 1:1 image size on the sensor at their closest focus distance. There are no zoom lenses (that I've ever seen) that can achieve this.

Some manufacturers add the "macro" wording to their zooms as a marketing thing. They are not macro lenses but the term is used to imply that they have close focus ability.

Strictly, they are just regular zoom lenses and can be used as such. They will however offer the abilty to focus quite closely when set nearer the minimum zoom length. You won't get shots of ants, bees and alike with a lens like this but you will be able to get a full frame shot of a flower or something of similar size.
HTH

Bob

True macro lenses will give a 1:1 image size on the sensor at their closest focus distance. There are no zoom lenses (that I've ever seen) that can achieve this.

Some manufacturers add the "macro" wording to their zooms as a marketing thing. They are not macro lenses but the term is used to imply that they have close focus ability.

Strictly, they are just regular zoom lenses and can be used as such. They will however offer the abilty to focus quite closely when set nearer the minimum zoom length. You won't shots of ants, bees and alike with a lens like this but you will be able to get a full frame shot of a flower or something of similar size.
HTH

Bob

agree with that, i've used a Macro lens before and its amazing compared to a Macro feature on a lens.

this is a picture one of my friend has on his site.

taken with a Canon 30D and this lens Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
IMG_4234.jpg

The Macro feature on my sigma 70-300 would NEVER be able to get anything close to that detail.

agree with that, i've used a Macro lens before and its amazing compared to a Macro feature on a lens.

this is a picture one of my friend has on his site.

taken with a Canon 30D and this lens Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
IMG_4234.jpg

The Macro feature on my sigma 70-300 would NEVER be able to get anything close to that detail.

:eek:How big was this thing originally and how did you get it to sit still long enough?

I thought one could only get that type of detail with a back to front macro lens:thinking:

what a great pic, bob gave me the same advice when I was looking at buying a macro, ended up with the canon 100mm
great lens and a good price

Back