lenses

Name
lynn
Edit My Images
Yes
hi
I have just purchased a second hand Canon 650D T4i, and it came with a Canon 18x55 ES lens. could someone advise me of what other lens i should get, my Sony cyborshot as a fixed lens and can zoom to 300. i like to take pictures of landscape, birds, flowers etc, so i would like to aquire another lens. thankyou so much. i am just trying to find my way around the camera, got stuck on a couple of things. i will just watch a few tutoriols on you tube!!!!

40mm pancake prime. Cheap small light sharp and f2.8

Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III should fit your needs pretty well. It's on par with the rest of the gear that you have I'd say. Much more expensive, but arguably worth it if you have the money to spend would be the Canon EF 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 IS II. Good luck with it all!

Your 18-55 is fine as a starter lens for landscapes and flowers.
Depending what type of birds you want to shoot and the size of them, a 70-300 might not be enough reach for you.
However, there is nothing wrong a 70-300 as a starter lens and mpb are selling the Canon EF70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM for around £150, you might also find them cheaper on ebay but with mbp you get a 3 month warranty.
Depending how serious you are about photography, the most common focal length lenses people use for wildlife are 100-400 and 150-600 plus prime lenses around 400-500.
Once you have achieved all that you can with the 18-55 and a 70-300 then you can look at investing in more expensive lenses with a longer focal reach.

Did you not read the OP's requirements?
A 40mm pancake lens is not much cop for birds.

So he takes shots of birds as part of his photography and automatically his 2nd lens must be a telephoto ?
Don't think so mate, a 40mm can cover a broad range of photography and is considerably better than the kit lens he has.

So he takes shots of birds as part of his photography and automatically his 2nd lens must be a telephoto ?
Don't think so mate, a 40mm can cover a broad range of photography and is considerably better than the kit lens he has.

To be fair, my first was telephoto when they said
my Sony cyborshot as a fixed lens and can zoom to 300.

Assuming they put that in there as what lens then wanted to replace

So he takes shots of birds as part of his photography and automatically his 2nd lens must be a telephoto

I rather suspect that Lynn is a she rather than a he...

Personally, I'd go down the 70-300 route rather than doubling up with a 40mm pancake - a length already covered by the kit 18-55. If lightness and size is a priority then the pancake would make sense but unless the birds are stuffed, the tele zoom makes more sense. A set of cheap extension tubes might be worth considering as well - not too shabby for close-ups of flowers.

No it doesn't but if she wants to shoot small garden birds such as blue tits it makes more sense to have a telephoto lens.
I didn't recommend a prime lens of 300 or more due to the cost of them.
I'm guessing she is on a budget so sticking with the 18-55 and buying a 70-300 lens would cover the photography she wants to do.

Last edited:
thanks hashcake. I am on a budget, and I am looking to buy the 70/300 lens. I am not just buying the tele photo just for BIRDS, I have taken good shots of birds with my SONY CYBORSHOT H400 with a 300 fixed zoom. I wanted a Canon with interchangeable lenses. if I get the hang of the Canon and lenses, then I might sell the sony, not sure yet. but I would like to thank each and every one of you that as taken the time to reply. thankyou

I don't shoot Canon, but I have often considered trying them out, and have watched and read a tonne of reviews on their lenses. I would opt for the 55-250 OIS STM, general consensus suggests that it is far better then the 70-300. It may not have as much reach, but it's sharper, has better OIS and is also dirt cheap! Have a look on HDEW, it goes for £129 new on there.

Not too shabby with a bridge camera like the H400. IIRC the "300mm" that the Sony has is actually a shorter lens but one which has the same effective focal length as a 300mm lens on an FF (full frame, 35mm film) body so an actual 300mm lens on the 650D will have a longer effective focal length - 480mm.

Bridge cams can be pretty decent in good lighting, they tend to fall apart in lower light though and even a kit lens will usually yield sharper results even with a god crop

Back