Lets go fly a kite (picture added)

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
Some more pictures from a super day at Gigrin yesterday.

20100311-_NFX3304-1.jpg

20100311-_NFX3595.jpg

20100311-_NFX3055.jpg

20100311-_NFX3011.jpg

5 In flight meal service - no problem.

20100311-_NFX2904.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you are getting your own personal fly past in #1, great detail and lighting in it as well Ken (y) all very good shots

Those are excellent, I must try and get to Gigrin sometime this year, as I've never been before, if anyone near me fancies a trip get in touch :)

lovely set, especially the last one, really like that!
looking at your exif, you shoot really fast!, maybe thats where I've been going wrong? generally I'm shooting at 1/500 or 1/640!

super sharp images.

Thanks Tiler. They were taken with a D700 using the Nikkor 200-400.

All really nice, but that first one is special (y)

Thanks Martyn, it's my favourite too and I think it's my best effort in 2010 so far.

Great set Ken, all good clear images and nice light as well.(y)

Many thanks, the light was lovely but I did get very cold.

Looks like you are getting your own personal fly past in #1, great detail and lighting in it as well Ken (y) all very good shots

Thanks. I found that most of my pictures were of the undersides of the kites as they were wheeling round in a circle but tis one suddenly chose to change direction and just caught the sun on its wings at the right moment.

Those are excellent, I must try and get to Gigrin sometime this year, as I've never been before, if anyone near me fancies a trip get in touch :)

I hadn't been there before but can really recommend it.

Great set, showing detail both sides of the wings.

Thanks for commenting.

An enviable set.

Thanks Donna

lovely set, especially the last one, really like that!
looking at your exif, you shoot really fast!, maybe thats where I've been going wrong? generally I'm shooting at 1/500 or 1/640!

When I am using the D700 I wind up the ISO to 1000 or even more and use a fast shutter speed to freeze the action. The kites move so fast that I need the speed. With the D300 I am reluctant to take the ISO beyond 640 which typically means opening the aperture a little more and/or shooting at 500th as you say.

Great shots Ken, especially the first!

Thanks - my favourite too.

Great shots, I like the inflight meal :)

Thanks. They don't land and eat on the ground like the buzzards do but grab and eat on the go.

Brilliant set indeed (y)

Many thanks

sharp and clean. I love all of them.

Thank you.

Very nice shots . But imho they could do with some contrast added..?

MD

Last edited:
Looks like you had a fantastic day,first chance I get I'm going :)

I like the menacing look in number 3, but they are all grand pics, good detail (y)

Fantastic.

Love the first shot - you can really see how the wings are constructed.

Looks like you had a fantastic day,first chance I get I'm going :)

I certainly did. It took just over 2 hours to get there from Lichfield but was well worth the journey.

No 5 is a great shot(y)

Thanks, its interesting to see them feed on the wing.

I like the menacing look in number 3, but they are all grand pics, good detail (y)

Many thanks

Fantastic.

Thanks for commenting.

Love the first shot - you can really see how the wings are constructed.

Takes me back to A level biology! Thanks for commenting.

Note for MD. I have increased the contrast slightly on numbers 1 and 6, thanks for the suggestion.

Back