Let's see your... "vintage lenses on modern body" shots.

Panasonic G1 with Nikkor RF 13.5mm (135mm Rangefinder lens)

ISO800 @ 1/60th

TP_Nikon_13.5mm.jpg

TP_Nikon_13.5mm_lens.jpg

Last edited:
I can't zoom in to that, but I'd say it looks a little soft.

I don't think you can really tell with pictures posted on this site. In the 50mm f1.2 picture the cake decorations are sharp on the eyes and of course at that close range little else is going to be.

Just found this thread. I've got a Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 and an Asahi Pentax Super Takumar 55mm f/1.8 that I'm starting to use more these days. I took this one with the Helios on a Fuji X-T30ii at the blue hour using the Classic Negative film simulation. I used Lightroom Classic to do a slight crop and a small boost in exposure, and lightened one of the faces to see more detail. Oh, and I added a vignette.

[
After the Dinner by Garry Knight, on Flickr

Last edited:
Going to New York this time next week an still trying to work out which camera(s) I'm taking.

So this was a test...

Definitely going to take a film camera and was trying to get to a correct selection of lenses. then it was a case of do I then take the Sony and use the same lenses. Or do I take a compact which is easy to carry?

I have both the Minolta 28-85 and the 35-70. Everyone says the 35-70 is the one to go for (as the aperture is constant f/3.5) but quality wise, I'm struggling to see a difference. All things being equal, the 28-85 is more useful. But all things aren't equal as it's f/3.5-4.5.

I think it's going to be an MD24/2.8, plus one of the zooms, plus the MD 100/2.5.

This wasn't as scientific as I wanted it to be, and I started running out of time before work to be really thorough. So, unfortunately I don't remember what aperture I used on both (which may explain the colour differences), and obviously don't get that info back from the camera.

But there's not much to choose between them. I'm leaning towards the 35-70, purely because it's smaller.

The South Bank Lion by Kell, on Flickr

The South Bank Lion by Kell, on Flickr

Last edited:
Before buying the A7 I had hoped to be able to use the Minolta lenses on my 5D.

As it turns out, there couldn't have been a worse combination. All to do with focal lengths being almost identical.

The lenses will work, but only in the same way that a macro-extension tube does. A much shorter MFD but cannot focus beyond about 2ft on most lenses.

These were for the TP52 theme of texture.

The first one in particular, when you zoom in to the flickr pic, the detail is amazing.

TP522024 week 10 TEXTURE-4595 by Kell, on Flickr

TP522024 week 10 TEXTURE-4608 by Kell, on Flickr

Last edited:
Received a USSR era Matsutov 3M-5A-MC 500mm f8 Mirror Lens yesterday and had a few test shots with it on my 5Diii.

Thing is built like a tank feels quite nice in both handling and operation, seems pretty sharp too.

5P8A9246v1024.jpg

2.Some sunset clouds yesterday evening to test infinity
5P8A9295v1024.jpg

3. Very low light cat shot, a very poor attempt at rim lighting.
5P8A9325.jpg

4. The moon and clouds this afternoon
5P8A9799.jpg

5. Same cat in full sun, complete with the doughnut bokeh associated with a mirror lens.
5P8A9834.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
I (did) take a lot of flower and insect images

For the following I used the Nikon Micro-NIKKOR - P Nikkor P 55mm F/3.5 pre Ai but modified to fit a Nikon DSLR, in my case the Nikon D810 - it's a 1960's lens and I have had mine since back in the days, but now I think that you can pick these up on eBay for maybe £75

TP_Bee.jpg

TP_White_Climber.jpg

This is the lens

TP_Micro_Nikkor.jpg

Last edited:
Just this week (inspired by a bit of sunshine) I thought I'd try my Olympus OM 300mm lens on my 5DIII. I find that the 5DIII, unlike my 5D and 5DII before it, is a bit sensitive to individual mount adapters and either cooperates fully or refuses flatly. This time I was pleased that the two parts would communicate. It really was just ten minutes in the back garden, hand held and seeing what kind of bokeh f5.6 might generate.

PKA_8491_OM300_ON_5DIII_(8).jpg

PKA_8491_OM300_ON_5DIII_(3).jpg

PKA_8491_OM300_ON_5DIII_(1).jpg

Sidmouth breakwater on a dull day. Tamron AD2 17mm on a Canon 5D...

People on Sidmouth breakwater 17mm Eos 5D IMG_0140.JPG

Back