Leucistic lapwing - Brandon Marsh

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Taken in Brandon Marsh.

It was 126m away so this is a huge crop with very little detail but I feel lucky just to have seen it.

5445416225_b621cdfd56_b.jpg

5445416365_c31cd9aa50_b.jpg

5446016924_967686f3c2_b.jpg

Mate, those looks awesome!!! I'm going through mine now and I don't believe I managed to get a nice in-flight shot, will see!

Should be eay to track this birds adventures, unless the local raptors spot it.

I agree, well spotted and taken, shame its a big crop but its better to have a go than to not try. thanks for sharing (y)

On a general note, is it me or are there more leucisic birds and animals around now, or maybe they are being photographed more. I have also been seeing more melanisitc rabits, unless again I just hadnt noticed them before :shrug:. Anyone else noticed this :thinking:

Given the distance some good shots, especially the in flight one.

I have never seen a leucistic lapwing before.

Yes, Trev I have noticed more leucistic birds over the years.

Many years as a kid I think I saw no more than 2 or 3 partially white blackbirds. Over the last 10 years or so partial leucistic crows are more common.

Wonder, as it is a genetic mutation, if better access to food (more people feed birds in their gardens now and the crow near me are around a lake where loads of folks feed the ducks) has allowed more of the leucistic birds to survive than would have done so years ago.

Dave

Unusual sight, never heard of a leucistic version of this species being reported before. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Interesting spot. Can't say I have seen a leucistic lappie before but the colouring is beautiful, especially on the underside.

Back