Light meeters

Edit My Images
No
Hiya im purchasing to external flah guns later this week and was wondering if it was worth me getting a flash meeter or not? im currently using a 350d and 50mm 1.8

I've got one, but to be fair I don't use it all that much, see how you get on just using the histogram to start with then if you find you need one think about it then...

The best thing is to use the gear you have, learn it's limitations and then make purchase decisions based on the experiences you have gained.

I have been using off camera flash for a while now and not once have a thought I was hindered or at a disadvantage for not having a flash meter.

Save your dough, you might decide to invest in all kinds of light modifiers and the like.

The expenditure can be never ending if you allow it to get out of control.

T.

The best thing is to use the gear you have, learn it's limitations and then make purchase decisions based on the experiences you have gained.

I have been using off camera flash for a while now and not once have a thought I was hindered or at a disadvantage for not having a flash meter.

Save your dough, you might decide to invest in all kinds of light modifiers and the like.

The expenditure can be never ending if you allow it to get out of control.

T.

Or you could just do what Tomas and I have done, and buy D3's :D

Which is about to become obsolete...! D3X I want you badly, you big brute, ooooooh :love:

Or you could just do what Tomas and I have done, and buy D3's :D

Which is about to become obsolete...! D3X I want you badly, you big brute, ooooooh :love:

:LOL: Hey now that's different Mr! I've spent more on my lights and lenses, besides, it was a works investment.... Honest!:razz:
And to add, the D3X will be pants at high ISO's, bad noise appearing at ISO 640 apparently, we'd have to have both a D3 and a D3X to have the best of both worlds. Ouch!
My D3, like my other camera's to date, will be my bestest work buddy until it disintergrates!
T.:LOL:

:LOL: Hey now that's different Mr! I've spent more on my lights and lenses, besides, it was a works investment :razz:
And to add, the D3X will be pants at high ISO's, bad noise appearing at ISO 640 apparently, we'd have to have both a D3 and a D3X to have the best of both worlds. Ouch!
My D3, like my other camera's to date, will be my bestest work buddy until it disintergrates!
T.:LOL:

Wow cool! D3 and D3x, side by side, like two lovers destined to spend eternity together.

I am going fricking LOOPY in this office today, someone, shoot me :D

Gary.

Wow cool! D3 and D3x, side by side, like two lovers destined to spend eternity together.

I am going fricking LOOPY in this office today, someone, shoot me :D

Gary.

I have a better idea, grab your coat, power down the gear, leave the office, get in your wheels, grab your lady, wee gary and basil, then hop on a plane, then come see Uncle Me and have beer and take nice photies in Finland! The perfect remedy of loopyness. (y)

I have a better idea, grab your coat, power down the gear, leave the office, get in your wheels, grab your lady, wee gary and basil, then hop on a plane, then come see Uncle Me and have beer and take nice photies in Finland! (y)

Dude I don't fly, EVER, and I only get wee Gary twice a month. I will however be driving to the Swiss Alps in my motorhome next year, how far is Finland? :D

Gary.
EDIT - sorry for the thread hijack!

Dude I don't fly, EVER, and I only get wee Gary twice a month. I will however be driving to the Swiss Alps in my motorhome next year, how far is Finland? :D

Gary.
EDIT - sorry for the thread hijack!

I think it's 2000 miles, just down the road really :D
It is possible to drive here though, via France and then eventually through Denmark via a big bridge and then Sweden and then a ferry/ship with good duty free, cabins and a lovely buffet! (I don't recommend the moose. :puke:)

I think we worked it out at 3 days of driving a couple of years ago.

Indeed SORRY for the HJ, OP!
T.

Hi Danny,

I have asked a similiar question on another forum. Basically a light meter is essential if you are doing studio work and very helpful if you are outdoors. As a newcomer to digital photography i feel a light meter would be beneficial if used properly as in time you get used to the readings under certain situations and over time learn to become less dependant on it, which is what we would all like to acheive. A standard where we can get good shots based on our own experience.

I would say get one, enjoy it and appreciate the fact that it will help you get better exposures. I will be buying one soon enough.

Ax.

thanks Axleuk im still in two minds if im honest i think il just get the flash's first then if i feel i need the meter i will invest in one then (manly cos im skint atm) lol

Hi Danny,

I have asked a similiar question on another forum. Basically a light meter is essential if you are doing studio work and very helpful if you are outdoors. As a newcomer to digital photography i feel a light meter would be beneficial if used properly as in time you get used to the readings under certain situations and over time learn to become less dependant on it, which is what we would all like to acheive. A standard where we can get good shots based on our own experience.

I would say get one, enjoy it and appreciate the fact that it will help you get better exposures. I will be buying one soon enough.

Ax.

There are always plenty of people on forums who believe that histograms have made meters redundant.
Personally, when I'm working in the studio for a couple of days solid I get to the point where I'm using one out of habit (or superstition perhaps) and, usually, it just confirms my own judgement.
But, after a break of a day I need a meter again.

thanks Axleuk im still in two minds if im honest i think il just get the flash's first then if i feel i need the meter i will invest in one then (manly cos im skint atm) lol

Well without the flashes, a light meter is really not that great of an investment.

I have been studying a few lighting DVDs i recently aquired. The Strobist 8 DVD set and the Onelight DVD 1 and 2. Anyone who has the pleasure of watching these will agreee that it really changes your outlook on lighting using strobes.

I cant wait to purchase a couple of Vivitar's and get out there and practise.

Back