Light Meter, which one to buy??

Name
Paul Tomlinson
Edit My Images
No
Its now time to buy myself a light meter, but which one to buy is the question, this is where your good selfs can help me out.

Please help......Paul

Hi Paul,you don't say what your requirements are ?
do you need flash and ambient ? spot meter ?

Hi Paul,you don't say what your requirements are ?
do you need flash and ambient ? spot meter ?

I want to do portraits, head, head and shoulders and full lenght body shots, i also want to work i the studio aswell.

I am looking at buying a portable studio so i will need one for flash, i thought one good meter would do all,

all info is good info.....many thanks

I use the Sekonic L-358

It's the one recommended to me by one of the country's better Wedding Pros as

• It does the job perfectly well
  • Is waterproof and pretty much drop-proof too
  • It's easy to use
  • And at under £200 is cheap enough to lose and not cry about for too long!

Incidentally, I got mine 2nd hand through TP's online trader MPB for £120 - (y)

DD

I use the Sekonic L-358

It's the one recommended to me by one of the country's better Wedding Pros as

• It does the job perfectly well
  • Is waterproof and pretty much drop-proof too
  • It's easy to use
  • And at under £200 is cheap enough to lose and not cry about for too long!

Incidentally, I got mine 2nd hand through TP's online trader MPB for £120 - (y)

DD

Can you tell me whats the difference between the Sekonic L-758D?

As far as I can see, the 758D allows you to calibrate and store exposure settings for different films/sensors, and even download profiles for specific DSLRs. (comes with a USB cradle) Seems a bit overkill tbh.

I have a Sekonic L-558 which looks identical to the 758D and is more exposure meter than I'm ever likely to need. It's a great meter - I picked it up 2nd hand from Ffordes who usually have a good selection of used ones.

As far as I can see, the 758D allows you to calibrate and store exposure settings for different films/sensors, and even download profiles for specific DSLRs. (comes with a USB cradle) Seems a bit overkill tbh.

I have a Sekonic L-558 which looks identical to the 758D and is more exposure meter than I'm ever likely to need. It's a great meter - I picked it up 2nd hand from Ffordes who usually have a good selection of used ones.

What do you thing to the 358??

I don't have one and have never used one Paul, but it has a good reputation and I'm sure it's very capable. What you want in a meter is the ablity to take reflected and incident light readings. Spot metering is nice if you can get it, with a 1 deg spot being a great help. If it takes flash readings as well, you'll probably never need anything else.

I don't have one and have never used one Paul, but it has a good reputation and I'm sure it's very capable. What you want in a meter is the ablity to take reflected and incident light readings. Spot metering is nice if you can get it, with a 1 deg spot being a great help. If it takes flash readings as well, you'll probably never need anything else.

Thanks for the info CT, the one you mentioned can be used for photography as well it says in the write up, whats incident light ??

Incident light means the light falling upon (incident upon) the subject ,and the reading is usually taken from the subject position with the meter pointing towards the camera. That's what that white dome is for - it's used for taking incident readings, rather than reflected readings where you measure the light reflected from your subject (as your camera meter does).

Incident light means the light falling upon (incident upon) the subject ,and the reading is usually taken from the subject position with the meter pointing towards the camera. That's what that white dome is for - it's used for taking incident readings, rather than reflected readings where you measure the light reflected from your subject (as your camera meter does).

Thanks again CT, where can i found out more about using light meters,

You Tube hs some nice vids.. just do a seach for Light Meter..

Quite a good article here

Google will throw up loads of others, but a book you can keep by you will be money well spent.

I've got a 308s, it's quite a bit cheaper (about £80 from HK),but obviously it doesn't have all the features of the 358. You pays your money......;)

Another 358 user here!

Back