Light meters for landscapes

Me. My camera has one built into it ;)

I think the main benefit is the way you can compose and frame your shot, Tighten everything down and take readings as and when the light changes without having to fiddle about re framing the scene...Does that make any sense or am i waffling again?

I've never really seen the need as the in-built meter does a pretty good job and I review the histogram after each shot to make my own adjustments using exposure compensation.

My m8 uses the 'zone system' for his landscapes

Uses a £600 spot meter, fannies about for a few minutes, and invariably sets the SAME exposure combo I do in seconds with the camera's own meter and a check on the screen

Makes me laugh every time he does it :LOL:

I do use a meter lots - but not for landscapes

DD

I don't think there's much mileage to be had in using the zone system for digital, if that's what he's using! Or modern cameras with decent built in light meters or for anything other than sheet film for that matter! You can contract or expand the contrast in development individually for each shot but even that's a fairly moot point if you are scanning your negs anyway.

I use one. Large format cameras dont have the luxury of the ttl meters. I actually like metering now though, gets me to think through alot more, and find the ideal base exposure to work around. Hows your LF work going gandhi?

I use one. Large format cameras dont have the luxury of the ttl meters. I actually like metering now though, gets me to think through alot more, and find the ideal base exposure to work around. Hows your LF work going gandhi?

Yup - you big buggers certainly need them

Though as a funny...

I once found a Kodak Junior #1 dated 1908 (broken in a tip), after an easy repair I ran a B&W 120 film through it at all of its settings...

Shutter speeds 1/25th & 1/50th

Aperture settings 1, 2, 3 & 4 (how sensible is that!)

Result from the laboratory? A whole roll of perfectly exposed prints. It seems the lab in conjunction with the B&W Ilford film just couldn't put a foot wrong :shrug:

DD

Back