Light Painting - Fishing Reel

MWHCVT

In Memoriam
Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
I did this mainly because I was inspired to do something from my other main hobby (y) and it was inspired by Pat's (specialman) recent fishing based light painting HERE

Light painted in a single exposure

339/365 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

As with all my images C&C most welcome and appreciated (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Last edited:
I like it. I used to do a fair bit of fishing. All sorts and loved it all, but I think Fly Fishing was my favourite.

Nice, I can imagine it as a photo in an antiques/auction catalogue.

I like it. I used to do a fair bit of fishing. All sorts and loved it all, but I think Fly Fishing was my favourite.

Thanks, I like my entire family have fishing in my blood (y) I love all types of fishing, if I'm honest photography has caused it to take a little bit of a back seat as a hobby :(

Nice, I can imagine it as a photo in an antiques/auction catalogue.

Thanks, That's a real compliment (y) I'm pleased you like it :D

Matt

I opened this thinking there was going to be a light replacing the float with some huge cast lighting up the sky or something.
Really nice work, haven't explored light painting yet!

Nice Matt!:clap:

Fishing used to be my main pasttime until i had kids!:LOL:

Then photography came along to take pictures of the kids,but know has grown into light trails etc!:bang:

I think the wife would like me to go back to fishing!:LOL:

I opened this thinking there was going to be a light replacing the float with some huge cast lighting up the sky or something.
Really nice work, haven't explored light painting yet!

Thanks Jay, I'm pleased that although it was not what you were expecting you still like it, and I will have to investigate what you expected see if it's something I can play with :naughty:

Nice Matt!

Fishing used to be my main pasttime until i had kids!:LOL:

Then photography came along to take pictures of the kids,but know has grown into light trails etc!:bang:

I think the wife would like me to go back to fishing!:LOL:

Cheers Simon :LOL: I've not done all that much fishing this year, I'd much rather be out with my camera these days :D I'm sure you wife dosn't miss you coming stinking of fish :D I know that I don't miss my car stinking on hot summer day's when you come home and forget the wet landing net that's still in the car :puke:

I think I've successfully ventured from fishing a expensive hobby to photography a blooming expensive hobby :bang:

I'm pleased that you like this (y)

Nice work Matt

Thanks Kevin :D

Very nice Matt, really nice job.

Thanks Will, It's come out well

Great job!

Thank you Phil :D

I like it mate, I really do.

The muted tones of the reel, the green velvet, and the wood really work for me. The identification card is a nice touch also. Its vermeer-esque in the quality of the light :)

What light did yo use?

RE: the fishing taking a backseat, I'm fortunate that I get me fill though work but my pleasure fishing has been eaten into by kids, photography and the missus' crappy shifts. deffo need to get to get out more....

I like it mate, I really do.

The muted tones of the reel, the green velvet, and the wood really work for me. The identification card is a nice touch also. Its vermeer-esque in the quality of the light :)

What light did yo use?

RE: the fishing taking a backseat, I'm fortunate that I get me fill though work but my pleasure fishing has been eaten into by kids, photography and the missus' crappy shifts. deffo need to get to get out more....

:D Cheers Pat, For all these still life style I use a small maglight :D of the 2xAA variety

I know you lucky git, I think you have what would be one of my dream jobs (y) as to fishing I certainly need to get out more, there is a particularly nice little hole in the ground that I like to go to over Napton way, North Farm, you should check that one out, a great variety of fish and about a mile and a half of the road so nice and peaceful (y) it also has a big plus as far as I'm concerned in that there is not mobile signal (y)

If I'm totally honest, I try and avoid the locations that are exclusively carp :D I don't like to wear camouflage so I tend not to fit in at the carp lakes :LOL: :rules:

Matt

Very nice, great image! (y)

Between your photo and pat's blog ive decided im going to have a pop at light painting this weekend!

is that dog lane? never fished it but know a few who have. I've fished napton res for tench and used to fish a lot at Stockton Res outside Southam. I mainly fish mallory Park or the Avon at straford these days, the river being where I head most of the time. The carp and bream fishing in Stratford is superb.

I used to do a lot of commercial fishing but it doesn't float my boat much. I do a lot of fly fishing these days too.

Sod the camo - Jan Porter never bothered when he was in red :LOL:

...Between your photo and pat's blog ive decided im going to have a pop at light painting this weekend!

Glad to be of inspiration - that's what this forum is all about :)

Very nice, great image!

Between your photo and pat's blog ive decided im going to have a pop at light painting this weekend!

Thanks :D besure to post your results as I'll be interested to see them (y) and welcome to the forum :wave:

You can also go bigger :D this is one I did at the weekend HERE

is that dog lane? never fished it but know a few who have. I've fished napton res for tench and used to fish a lot at Stockton Res outside Southam. I mainly fish mallory Park or the Avon at straford these days, the river being where I head most of the time. The carp and bream fishing in Stratford is superb.

I used to do a lot of commercial fishing but it doesn't float my boat much. I do a lot of fly fishing these days too.

Sod the camo - Jan Porter never bothered when he was in red :LOL:

Glad to be of inspiration - that's what this forum is all about :)

Indeed it is the off Dog Lane, but about a mile past Dog Lane, it's a wonderful mature new lake if that make sense and the owner is great he has a two month close season which really allows the lake to recover (y)

I love the rivers I used to fish most weekends down on the river wye, as my uncle had a number of beats thinking about they will still be in the family so I'll have to go down again soon :D

I'm not that big into the commercial lakes myself :shake: I cannot stand the carp army with there cammo I sometimes think they have a cammo brain :LOL: :coat: but I'm sure my cousins love to sell them all the cammo, my biggest pet hate though has to be bite alarms :bat:

Matt

Thanks :D besure to post your results as I'll be interested to see them (y) and welcome to the forum :wave:

You can also go bigger :D this is one I did at the weekend HERE

Thanks

i think ill see how i get on with smaller subjects first haha

another great image though

Last edited:
this works well mate, would i be right in saying a small touch of tonemapping was also done?

Thanks

i think ill see how i get on with smaller subjects first haha

another great image though

:LOL: that was my first attempt on a car (y) I have done a bridge before and a couple of buildings (y) with lots of help from Darrell (thedodo)

this works well mate, would i be right in saying a small touch of tonemapping was also done?

Thanks mate, but nope no tone mapping to been seen in this photo :D I opened the RAW and made adjustments to the levels but no HDR/Tonemapping (y)

Matt

:LOL: that was my first attempt on a car (y) I have done a bridge before and a couple of buildings (y) with lots of help from Darrell (thedodo)

Thanks mate, but nope no tone mapping to been seen in this photo :D I opened the RAW and made adjustments to the levels but no HDR/Tonemapping (y)

Matt

Ahh its amazing what you can actually do using a raw file im just editing a couple of raws now

Love it Matt.

Haven't seen anything from you in a while. Not sure if you haven't been posting much, or if I've just been too busy with Christmas stuff to spend as much time on here as I usually do.

Beautiful antique feel to it and the lightpainting has really brought out that sort of feel in it. If there was anything that I would change it would be just a touch less light inside the box, but that's a very minor niggle.

Well done :clap:

Love it Matt.

Haven't seen anything from you in a while. Not sure if you haven't been posting much, or if I've just been too busy with Christmas stuff to spend as much time on here as I usually do.

Beautiful antique feel to it and the lightpainting has really brought out that sort of feel in it. If there was anything that I would change it would be just a touch less light inside the box, but that's a very minor niggle.

Well done :clap:

Thanks Sarah, I've done a fair bit, you can always find new stuff every day in my 365 thread (y) I try and post a least a few threads a week (y)

I'm please you like it and I think you have a good idea there of a little less light in the box (y) I also did one where I spun the reel a little I will have a play with that one later and post that (y)

There a couple of recent images that I'm especially pleased with HERE and HERE (y)

I really should get out and do some Christmas shopping myself at some point, it would be nice to do it one year before Christmas Eve :LOL: :bonk:

Matt

Really like this Matt must have a go at light painting.
Like some of the others I was a mad keen flyfisher for many years, seeing this image has made me regret selling the Hardy Fly Reels I used to own.

NIce diffused light on the set up Matt, I like this quite a lot (y)

Thank you, light painting is a great way to cast a lovely lighting on still like subjects (y)

Very nice photograph Matt and nicely composed and great lighting. Nick

Cheer's Nick, it's come out really well (y)

Really like this Matt must have a go at light painting.
Like some of the others I was a mad keen flyfisher for many years, seeing this image has made me regret selling the Hardy Fly Reels I used to own.

Thanks :D I love all types of fishing, I don't think I've ever sold a piece of tackle :bang: I'm a right hoarder, I have loads of Hardy rod's and reels :D this was brought more because it was a limited edition than for use but it's perfect for a bit of trotting for Grayling (y)

Matt

Absolutely shocked Matt - stole my idea and got more responses than me....boo hoo :razz: :LOL:

:D :LOL: it goes that way sometimes :D but I have credited you as the inspiration (y) in the OP I'm just sorting out a replacement image as since uploading this one I noticed a couple of specks that I missed on the original edit so I've just cleaned them up :D

Matt

Just leg-pulling. :LOL:

Don't talk to me about specks - getting my new MBP tomorrow so i don't have to use the missus' 13" macbook anymore and I'm sure I'll find out that every image I've taken over the last two week while the MBP has been broken will be riddled with dust and imperfections. I never knew how much you can miss a quality computer display!! :LOL:

Just leg-pulling. :LOL:

Don't talk to me about specks - getting my new MBP tomorrow so i don't have to use the missus' 13" macbook anymore and I'm sure I'll find out that every image I've taken over the last two week while the MBP has been broken will be riddled with dust and imperfections. I never knew how much you can miss a quality computer display!! :LOL:

I'm pleased to hear that your getting your baby back (y) I always think that a photographer without a calibrated screen is like Monet while he had cataracts, apparently when he had them removed and he could see properly he was that appalled by the standard and colours of the paintings that he did in that time that he had them all burnt :eek:

Matt

I really should get out and do some Christmas shopping myself at some point, it would be nice to do it one year before Christmas Eve :LOL: :bonk:

Matt

Tut tut . . . leaving it all to the last minute. And you haven't even Christmassed up your avatar yet :D (Although, I reckon if I left it to my husband everyone would end up with gift vouchers bought on Christmas Eve :LOL:)

Just having a little break from wrapping but I do need to do some more tonight - I promise I'll try to have a look at your other threads later though. Tomorrow night's project is making Christmas wreaths.

Tut tut . . . leaving it all to the last minute. And you haven't even Christmassed up your avatar yet :D (Although, I reckon if I left it to my husband everyone would end up with gift vouchers bought on Christmas Eve :LOL:)

Just having a little break from wrapping but I do need to do some more tonight - I promise I'll try to have a look at your other threads later though. Tomorrow night's project is making Christmas wreaths.

I shall make it a project for tomorrow to sort out a Christmas version of my avatar (y) now to sort out some ideas :thinking:

I will have to sort out some presents soon, I have to get some sent over to Ireland :bang:

Matt

I did this mainly because I was inspired to do something from my other main hobby (y) and it was inspired by Pat's (specialman) recent fishing based light painting HERE

Light painted in a single exposure

339/365 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

As with all my images C&C most welcome and appreciated (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

very well taken..catalogue shot definately
what is light painting single exposure...and what did you do
it looks a lot like diffused lighting
cheers
geof

very well taken..catalogue shot definately
what is light painting single exposure...and what did you do
it looks a lot like diffused lighting
cheers
geof

Thank you Geof, I'm pleased that you like it (y)

It's using a single source of lighting in my case (y) though there are different types of light painting, I use a small torch and you do a long exposure under dark conditions move the light over different areas of the subject to provide a nice level of lighting, while avoiding lot's of harsh shadows that can be the result of flash (y) hope that helps (y)

Matt

Thank you Geof, I'm pleased that you like it (y)

It's using a single source of lighting in my case (y) though there are different types of light painting, I use a small torch and you do a long exposure under dark conditions move the light over different areas of the subject to provide a nice level of lighting, while avoiding lot's of harsh shadows that can be the result of flash (y) hope that helps (y)

Matt

thats a trick i will try next time

Back