Light.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm mulling over going to Glencoe tomorrow evening. Plan is to leave home about 2 or 3 pm, which would get me there for about 4:30 - 5:30pm. I'm not sure yet though as it looks like it's going to be unfavourable light, ie, too much of it, that contrasty light, with high, fluffy clouds. I get it's not a good time of year just now and some people wouldn't get their cameras out of the drawer for it. Autumn and winter would be my favourite times. I need to get out though, straining at the leash syndrome is happening. It does look like there might be a chance of reflections, the wind is currently forecast to be quite low although you can never be certain of that until you get there. I have a location in mind for an evening shot if it is calm. I may stay the night for sunrise on Rannoch Moor, again, not sure on that one.

If I'm there early afternoon, I'm going to potter around the glen and see what is what.

Checking conditions tomorrow on some weather apps, would you even bother to go?

I've always said, you've got to be in it to win it, so with that in mind, I will probably go, just for the hell of it and you never know with this game.

What light do you look for and do you make use of the forecast apps before you go? Would you ever stay at home and cancel a planned trip if the light didn't look good?

2 and a half hours is over my travel time limit if i dont think conditions would be right unless its an event that wont be repeated.

I wouldnt want to burn 5 hours and the fuel on a half chance, id look at something closer and then look at Glencoe when conditions are better.

Well, I went, the light was average but got some nice ones. Not sure I'd post any of them and a huge cull is coming but we'll see.

Last edited:
Summer IS the best season for landscapes. You can get some lovely light in the evenings and mornings even quite deep into the morning and early in the evening, you just need light, clouds, shadow plays and these all important reflections.

I was in Glencoe Thursday morning and it was magical, deep lush greens, some light, steely grey clouds and reflections yes....reflections.

Discount the most wonderful time of year at your perils.

Summer IS the best season for landscapes. You can get some lovely light in the evenings and mornings even quite deep into the morning and early in the evening, you just need light, clouds, shadow plays and these all important reflections.

I was in Glencoe Thursday morning and it was magical, deep lush greens, some light, steely grey clouds and reflections yes....reflections.

Discount the most wonderful time of year at your perils.

Meh, green :ROFLMAO:

Personally I look for rain and light....the best light always comes after rainfall, and it makes everything lush, wether it be greens or golds :)

I rarely look at the forecast though tbh, just being there is the best you can do, as you just never know, especially in the Highlands.

Meh, green :ROFLMAO:

Personally I look for rain and light....the best light always comes after rainfall, and it makes everything lush, wether it be greens or golds :)

I rarely look at the forecast though tbh, just being there is the best you can do, as you just never know, especially in the Highlands.

Green represents life tbh - summer is when it all comes alive, green is pretty and very evocative and representative of new beginnings etc. To me anyway.

I live by forecasts, mainly wind speeds as blurred folliage, choppy water and fog/mist are all my ideas of hell. If you get the timing right it all comes together, sometimes spectacularly. Thursday morning was good but I wish I went yesterday AM - I think I missed a trick there.

You still head out a bit over the summer, if you don't like the greens you got the coast, you can do ICM, lots of cool stuff to do and all whilst not being wretchedly cold. In August there is the purple heather too - surely you like that.

Last edited:
Green represents life tbh - summer is when it all comes alive, green is pretty and very evocative and representative of new beginnings etc. To me anyway.

I live by forecasts, mainly wind speeds as blurred folliage, choppy water and fog/mist are all my ideas of hell. If you get the timing right it all comes together, sometimes spectacularly. Thursday morning was good but I wish I went yesterday AM - I think I missed a trick there.

You still head out a bit over the summer, if you don't like the greens you got the coast, you can do ICM, lots of cool stuff to do and all whilst not being wretchedly cold. In August there is the purple heather too - surely you like that.

All the same shade of green, blue skies, midges, all a bit boring for me and what I like to shoot. I hate the heat, I'm a winter man, I'd take frosts and snow all day every day over anything over 13 degrees. Coastal is always where it's at for me anyhow to be fair.

All the same shade of green, blue skies, midges, all a bit boring for me and what I like to shoot. I hate the heat, I'm a winter man, I'd take frosts and snow all day every day over anything over 13 degrees. Coastal is always where it's at for me anyhow to be fair.

13c is on the chilly side, 23c is nice, 33c is perfect, 43c getting a bit toasty LOL.

Coastal is nice all year round and UK wise with the stormier weather flatters coastal a lot.

Back