Lighthouse Silhouette

Edit My Images
Yes
C&C Welcome
P10207371.jpg

Wonderful capture, that's superb lighting and colour (y)

I agree about the lighthouse being too central.

Wonderfully dramatic sky there and I like the strongly saturated oranges, but the lighthouse is too central in the frame IMO.
Thanks for your positive comments :) I agree that the lighthouse is too central. Luckily I took a few so here is another with the lighthouse more to the left. Im not sure about the sun flare :thinking: Any suggestions on how I can improve this in Photoshop.
P102073411.jpg

Sometimes you just can't win :)

I agree in the first -lighthouse is too central, in the second it's fine-but the sun is too central.

I think I would consider cropping No1 from the left to pull the lighthouse off-centre.

Sometimes you just can't win :)

I agree in the first -lighthouse is too central, in the second it's fine-but the sun is too central.

I think I would consider cropping No1 from the left to pull the lighthouse off-centre.

Thanks Les. I will crop No.1 & re-post. Cheers

Who ever first started whinging in the photography world about things being too central should be shot... I mean come on , when you like something and the lighthouse or other object is in the center of your view you take it as YOU saw it.

Do you walk to an area without a camera and say oh thats too central in my eye view im going to take a few steps to the right or left.

Rant

They are both good shots and i prefer number 1!

Who ever first started whinging in the photography world about things being too central should be shot... I mean come on , when you like something and the lighthouse or other object is in the center of your view you take it as YOU saw it.

Do you walk to an area without a camera and say oh thats too central in my eye view im going to take a few steps to the right or left.

Rant

Normally you just turn your camera slightly :LOL:

Normally you just turn your camera slightly :LOL:

:D

I can understand if say the horizon isn't straight then that would need to be fixed because its not what your eyes see. But the photography complaints about things being too central is just b****x , people latch on and join the crowd. :(

I can understand if say the horizon isn't straight then that would need to be fixed because its not what your eyes see. But the photography complaints about things being too central is just b****x , people latch on and join the crowd. :(

I dunno if its a "peer pressure" thing. I mean I definately prefer bottom corner shots, and most of my shots I take do not centre on the subject, it feels more natural for me to stick them somewhere to the side.

There are a few times when dead centred is fine, and I don't have any issue with it in the first photo here.

I would agree with you on this but i do feel the shot is a little one sided, i feel it looks better with some of the left side cropped off:

Interesting, uploading it to imageshack has lost some saturation.

Thanks all for your replies. I hope the gloves are off now :LOL:
Here is the cropped version with the lighthouse more to the left
P102073711.jpg

Have you finished? The shot (IMO!) looks much better with the lighthouse off-centre. I'm not entirely sure at what point my opinion became tantamount to mindless parroting in your eyes, but I'd ask you to respect it.

The last crop is definitely an improvement, although in this case I'd probably lose about a fraction of the empty foreground.

Who says? , who invented that term? why we must we all follow the guidelines because one person invented the term.

This is a pointless argument, I suggest in most cases having the central subject off centre = good composition, and that's a generally accepted proposition, and it wasn't 'invented' , if you care to study good photographer's work (or landscape artists), you will find that in most cases they follow this concept.

If you don't want to accept this -that's fine-be happy :)

Have you finished? The shot (IMO!) looks much better with the lighthouse off-centre. I'm not entirely sure at what point my opinion became tantamount to mindless parroting in your eyes, but I'd ask you to respect it.

No

This is a pointless argument, I suggest in most cases having the central subject off centre = good composition, and that's a generally accepted proposition, and it wasn't 'invented' , if you care to study good photographer's work (or landscape artists), you will find that in most cases they follow this concept.

If you don't want to accept this -that's fine-be happy :)

I also have objects off center , however i also have them dead center sometimes a photo can look good either way. In such case as this! (y)

Misty everyone of these shots are good :)

I love the photos, all of them.
As a complete noob who knows next to nowt about photography and has zillions to learn about composing scenes, I like the cropped photo because it has two areas to focus on.
Probably not well explained, but I know what I mean.

Awesome stuff.

You know what I'm going to say? I'm going to say it's a great photo, but the lighthouse is too central ;)

Thanks all. Interesting debate. I am new to photography so I cannot really comment on the finer points. All I can say is that we all have different tastes. :) I was out this evening & took some shots of a castle ruin in the sunset keeping in mind the comments above & will post later with the castle & sun in different positions. I hope I wont rekindle the fire :LOL:

Back