Lighthouse!

Great shot Gary. How many attempts did it take for you to get the exposure right? I don't think I would have the patience to get a 15 min exposure wrong by a few minutes, especially if it takes just as long again for the noise reduction to do its thing. Thats potentially a 25 minute test shot if you undercook it by a couple of minutes!

Or do you shoot your tests shots at f2.8 then multiply out the exposure time to f16?

This hasn't been mentioned yet so will throw my immediate thoughts for improvement out there.......I reckon the composition would be stronger if the lighthouse was clearly on the right hand third line rather than on a '5th' like it is at the moment. For me it creates too much empty space on the right hand side.

A lovely image despite all the nit picking

Guys you are all awesome! :D Ta for comments. Elektro! Mwuaha :D Love the edit. And Ted, it is an absolute PAIN in the ass getting exposure right, especially with long exposure noise reduction!

Trial and error. I must learn to use my light meter.

Gary.

I love No 1, I think it's a cracking shot - give yourself a break and stop being your own worst critic, moreso when it isn't justified. Yes, people can pick (small) faults with it, but if we're honest, we could all pick some fault (imaginary or otherwise) with virtually any image, as it's all down to personal taste... it's a fab capture; one that I'd be more than proud of... (y)

yeah i like - just how light / dark was it to the human eye though to use a 15min or so exposure?

Only ask that have recently acquired a ND 8 filter..... and need to have a play

yeah i like - just how light / dark was it to the human eye though to use a 15min or so exposure?

Only ask that have recently acquired a ND 8 filter..... and need to have a play

Black. Impossible to see anything whatsoever, absolutely ZERO visibility. Compose, Focus, attach filter and shoot :)

Guys,

Thanks for all the kind words. I honestly do like the first, but I swear I can make it a million times better!! Looking forward to nailing it :)

Gary.

Scratch that, just found your Flickr site. Your images are generally stunning and an inspiration

Sorry, got my threads mixed up. This reply should have been to "twa bridges"

Last edited:
Cheers mate, number 2 - strange, will check. Not used PTLens, will look it up. Is it good?

Gary.

Sorry Gary it took me long to reply - forgot about this thread somehow.

PTLens (link here) is a 15 USD PS plugin (and standalone app as well) that can fix a lot more distortions than PS own plugin. I use it since it was free and 15 USD was not much of a price for a permanent license. It can apply auto corrections if it will recognise your camera/lens combo and has them in its database but you can tweak it manually as well plus do perspective corrections etc.

I do like the skies in these long exposure shots Gary :)

I know this spot, must get down there and try it out, Police permitting ;)

Stunning images, really like them a lot.

I do like the skies in these long exposure shots Gary :)

I know this spot, must get down there and try it out, Police permitting ;)

Sorry Gary it took me long to reply - forgot about this thread somehow.

PTLens (link here) is a 15 USD PS plugin (and standalone app as well) that can fix a lot more distortions than PS own plugin. I use it since it was free and 15 USD was not much of a price for a permanent license. It can apply auto corrections if it will recognise your camera/lens combo and has them in its database but you can tweak it manually as well plus do perspective corrections etc.

Thanking you all :D

Back