Lighting a bearded man portrait.

Edit My Images
Yes
Like a few others, I have tried growing a beard over the last few months, was thinking of going for the ZZ Top look but lack the length amongst other things.
The time has come to do some drastic trimming, but before I do, has anyone got any ideas about lighting ?
I like the idea of a stark, high contrast, almost monotone and grainy is fine too - anything to make me look manly and tough. Well, as much as possible.
I'd rather keep it as simple as possible, ideally one flash with an on camera flash to trigger or just available light if possible, but any suggestions would be much appreciated.
These are a few of my earlier attempts, one with my phone, but they will give you some idea of just how big a challenge making me look manly is, so lets just go for beard shots on an old face..

IMG_20200415_083059 (1) e 2 softer resize by Steve Powell, on Flickr

DSCF3370 e bw_resize by Steve Powell, on Flickr

This one may not be entirely real but convinced a few on Facebook that I'd gone feral..
DSCF3204 e5 by Steve Powell, on Flickr

Trade the bike in against a Hardly Runsatall!

Nearly bought a Sportster a few years back but on the test ride, my hip cried foul so I had to ride it back in 2nd gear (left hip wouldn't let me get my foot back on the peg!) Took a Triumph Speedmaster out instead and still have it.

Having said that, I had custody of an 88" Shovelhead back in the early '90s and loved it. Never broke down on me either.

Nearly bought a Sportster a few years back but on the test ride, my hip cried foul so I had to ride it back in 2nd gear (left hip wouldn't let me get my foot back on the peg!) Took a Triumph Speedmaster out instead and still have it.

Having said that, I had custody of an 88" Shovelhead back in the early '90s and loved it. Never broke down on me either.
Never broke down... Did you keep it in the sitting room for the entire time ?

Not at all! Ridden hard and fast but it was rather non-standard and the chap that built it knew what he was doing! Could be a bitch to start but that was technique more than anything. Would have bough it when the owner sold it had I had the money available back then. Such is life!

Sorry - derailed the thread slightly!

First one looks grittier than the second but I can offer a couple of tweaks. Move the clasp on the necklace and stick a ring in the ear rather than a stud. a "thousand yard stare" past the camera could help too.

They're not as unreliable as they used to be.
Like Ducati's, they're a lot more reliable now.....

From what little I have read AND REMEMBERED from Nod's posts about his bikes he has had Triumphs for a while, so assumed he was, like me, talking about the old ones - Given the money I'd actually quite like to try both an HD and a Ducati but you sounds like you remember the old Dukes and their Italian electrics...!

Sorry - derailed the thread slightly!

First one looks grittier than the second but I can offer a couple of tweaks. Move the clasp on the necklace and stick a ring in the ear rather than a stud. a "thousand yard stare" past the camera could help too.
Ha..!
I like the idea of the 'Thousand yard stare' and may have to find a big ring for my ear - the chain can go unless I can find a suitable thing to hang on it.

FTFY in italics...
I've never owned a Harley, but I've had 2 Ducati's, a monster and a 996.
Both were reliable and never let me down.
Both were bought to be ridden, not to sit in the garage all nice and shiny...:cool:

Nod's posts about his bikes he has had Triumphs for a while, so assumed he was, like me, talking about the old ones

Always wanted an old Bonnie (would even have settled for a Daytona at a push!) but couldn't afford one when they were affordable and now I can, I wouldn't (unless a good '63 turned up and was reasonably cheap!) because I haven't got the flexibility to keep fettling one these days. Wanted an old big single too but for similar reasons held off. When I did have the cash available, I went for a modern (unit and electronic) Royal Enfield Bullet which I bought brand new (and still have) followed by a succession of modern Bonnies, all of which start on the button every time, don't drip oil and make a decent noise (although the standard one is a bit muted...)

Both were reliable and never let me down.

A mate of mine had 2 Monsters - bought the second as a spare so he could rotate them when they were being fixed. He now has one shiny red toy which doesn't see much use but is less unreliable than his old monsters.

Back