Lighting for tennis elbow support help required.

Edit My Images
No
Hi Experts,

I'm trying to take a decent photograph ...edited... for a company ...edited... . I need the background to be white (for a web page) and the support to be perfectly clear. I used to love photography but not digital so have bought a Nikon F3 and various quality prime lenses. I will be buying a pro spec scanner. I have been looking on eBay for a decent studio lighting kit but to be honest I'm not sure what's good and what's not.

Does anyone on here have any advise or pointers?

All help appreciated
Richard Georgiou
...edited...

If this is a one off I'm not sure you need to go to the extravagance of a full studio lighting kit. For super cheap DIY solutions to product photography there are extensive ideas in this thread....

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=281524

Here's my own setup - not DIY but very cheap :) I didn't put any effort into this shot. I was simply demonstrating being able to shoot an 18" high object easily. If you have an off camera flash (or two) then you could use them simply diffused through the top or sides of the light box.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=484585

The light box was £15 from eBay and the lamps were about £10 or £12 each from B&Q. I already had the tripod.

You might pick up some more ideas here - http://www.photoflexlightingschool....asic_Lighting/Product___Still_Life/index.html

I'm trying to take a decent photograph of a ...edited... support for a company called lastrap (...edited...).
I need the background to be white (for a web page)

That means the background needs to be 2 stops brighter, or more, than the metered value of the elbow support, Richard.
Ideally you would have a curved (horizonless) white translucent table/background that is (sufficiently) illuminated from below and behind, and a big softbox over the support for a maximum wrap-around effect and minimal shadows.

Good luck.

I just tried a very quick experiment. I don't know whether the results will be the kind of thing you are aiming for but here's my attempt. I didn't have an elbow support so I improvised with a sock. We have bright overcast weather today - nature's largest softbox. I laid out some white wall paper on the lawn, spot metered the paper and manually set exposure to more than +2 stops - I'm not sure exactly how much. I put the sock on the paper and, standing directly over the paper, aimed, framed, focused and fired. I just took the one shot and downloaded to Lightroom. There I added another 1 stop to the exposure, added some vibrance to spice up the sock colour, and sharpened a bit. Here is the end result....

20080607_141106_1711_LR.jpg

I caught a little grass from the lawn in my crosshairs. I could have cropped that out but left it in just to show my shooting situation. I did not use flash, diffusers, reflectors, nothing, just some white paper and my camera.

Is this the look you are going for?

hmmm... I smell something...

Back