Lighting Set up

Edit My Images
Yes
Here is the latest incarnation of the lighting set up im currently using. The diffusers are made from Dove Invisible Dry deodrant caps wrapped in aluminium from a coke can and taped onto the flash heads. They were originally thought of by another photographer (SteB from Juza Forum).

With these diffusers on i can get about 8 or 9 consecutive shots without the flash needing to recycle. They also have the added benefit of seemingly solving the MT24ex's problem of randomly overexposing shots for no apparent reason.

With these alone the light was still to focused and harsh espically on reflective insects. So using another idea from SteB i created a version of his coffe cup diffuser. Ive used various materials for this from baby wipes to Perspex (sanded) however i have found a paper called Vellum (available from some craft shops and the internet). Its almost like tracing paper and dosent seem to affect the colour balance unlike other materials i have tried.

As you can see from the picture i have formed a sort of tent from two sheets cut in a triangular pattern with the upper one slightly larger than the lower. These are then taped together down the edges. Its held onto the flash by two pieces of velcro on the flash mount. The idea being that the light will hit the first layer and then spread while passing through the second layer. Hopefully avoiding the two bright flash shaped highlights.

I am going to make a second one that is shorter for shooting above x3 life size. With the velcro it can be attached in seconds.

Here are some shots of the contraption on the camera. Its all abit heath robinson at the moment but the results are excellent. One of the issues i have had with other diffisuers is that i was gettling alot of blacks with no detail due to the focused nature of the light. With these im getting a much more even spred of light over the scene and no blocked out blacks.

Click an Image for a larger view.

Ladybird - Full Flash

Hover - Full Flash

Ants - Full Flash

Last edited:
Fascinating, thanks for taking the time to show the setup and explaining it. The results speak for themselves!

Excellent thread, and thanks for sharing. The resulting images look different when you first look at them, purely because I guess I have become accustomed to seeing flash highlights reflected from insects in macro shots. But these have a really pleasing 'natural' look and I really like them.

Back