Lightning Storm

Name
Cheryl
Edit My Images
Yes
We had a thunder storm last night which lasted well over an hour, so I saw it as an opportunity to try my hand at photographing lightning! The rain was pouring down and I was hanging out of the bedroom window at 11pm :wacky: Lots of lamposts nearby hence the light pollution.

These were handheld, using the 'bulb' setting with my 28-80mm lens. The main problem I found was the lightning seemed to occur in the opposite direction to wherever I aimed the camera :bang: so out of about 40 shots, these were the only two that actually had anything on them :LOL:

lightning1.jpg

lightning2.jpg

Never been able to catch any lightning myself so I reckon you done well there........particullaly the first one.

you've managed to get a couple of good 'uns there Min :)

Excellent captures, its a lot more difficult than people think...tried many times...nothing, so I know exactly what you mean with the blank frames :LOL:

I eventually cheated and made my own lightening, :naughty: and went onto build this crappy old web page a few years ago for a business partner. It made him feel good...which is nice.... ignore the adam blah...photography bit.. tis sales bull sh**e.. although I like to think I've improved since then.
Just roll your mouse about...Needs reasonable net speed, cos its not very good really, hope you find it slightly amusing peeps

Hope that ok to post on your thread mini.

Great shots. :)

Clever girl........these are fantastic.

If it wasn't for the 2" rain this afternoon - I was going to have a go at today's storm. Well caught - I was trying to think what aperture I could manage fo a time exposure in daylight. Need 25ASA and F64 and the 350D cant manage that - have to wait for a dry night storm. Managed to get rid of the 6" water up my garage door down the sewer before too much came in. Says something for the seal of a double roller door doors but surprised how much the weight of water on a manhole cover. Now changed clothing completely!

Well captured Mini (y)

I've never even attempted it and wuldn't know where to start.
I'm usually hiding under the sofa after I've unplugged my router.

not had any here yet!

Good stuff Min ... our storm occurred this afternoon and it was a corker ... even harder trying to catch it in daylight 'cos you can't use the longer exposures night time allows ... :p

Well done you though ... (y)

clawz said:
What equipment/shutter exp did you use?

These were taken with my Nikon D70, using 28-80mm lens. I had the camera on manual setting with the shutter on the 'bulb' setting. The first shot was taken at F5, and the 2nd at F22. I was just trying to experiment to see what gave me the best results. As you found out though, it's not as easy as it looks. I had the added problem of overlooking about 6 lamposts - difficult when you're trying to do a long exposure!

Good pics. We had a monster storm down here. it was far too scary to be out taking pics, due to the steer intensity and volume of ground strikes. A house over the back of our little crescent got struck and caught fire! :eek:

Back