Lightroom CC classic and GRADS: tips and tricks

Great thread! I've never thought to proof for sRGB before, my impression was that you are editing "in" the sRGB colour space anyway so what you see within lightroom should be what you get when exporting. Is that not the case?

Some good information in there that I didn't know, thanks for taking the time to put that together.

Interesting information - thank you.

Which lavender farm is that?
I wanted to take a similar shot but the lavender farm near me charges £100 to shoot there out of hours and during summer when lavender farm is open sunrise or sunset doesnt happen between 9-5 :(

Great thread! I've never thought to proof for sRGB before, my impression was that you are editing "in" the sRGB colour space anyway so what you see within lightroom should be what you get when exporting. Is that not the case?

Should you not edit and have the screen set in the Adobe 1998 space. The range of colour's is far greater.

Totally aside that first shot of BEM is wonderful, great summer colours (not the misery brown ones now) and lovely bold composition.

Should you not edit and have the screen set in the Adobe 1998 space. The range of colour's is far greater.

Totally aside that first shot of BEM is wonderful, great summer colours (not the misery brown ones now) and lovely bold composition.

If you post to the Web then the colours can get messed up with files in Adobe RGB colour space so I prefer to work with sRGB. I suppose if your normal colour space is Adobe RGB that's why sRGB proofing is useful.

No, RAW files are all in ProPhotoRGB colour space which is a lot wider than Adobe and much wider still than sRGB. Lightroom operates in ProPhoto mode by default which is where proofing comes useful. The visual output is obviously limited by your monitor - typically sRGB for cheaper ones and Adobe or P3 for the really expensive ones. The latter is really useful for printing or high quality graphics work where ARGB output is a must.
Photoshop can be set to anything you want, and you also need to check Lightroom preferences for PS export to make sure you are editing in a wide space. Only convert as a last step in JPEG export.

Proofing really helps when there are lots o extreme colours such as red or cyans. For a typical portrait it would hardly make any difference to the final result, but it's good to make sure.

As already explained aRGB is only somewhere down the middle. Some of my papers max it out in some areas so best to stick with ProPhoto in the editing stages. There is also a competing P3 space, similar to Adobe but not exactly in the same area. Apple and a lot of tech companies are now pushing that so it is likely to become the next web "standard".

Like I said in a different thread once the bulk of the editing done it is a good practice to prepare both aRGB (or printer ICC) + sRGB outputs.
Obviously those with sRGB monitors would have a very hard time working blindly (or only with histogram as a reference) in any of the wider spaces. So just stick to what you can see.

On macs there is a Colorsync utility. I guess windows should have something similar.

You can compare any 2 profiles. It really opens the eyes what the spaces are and where your monitor or printer comes in.
Thats sRGB inside Adobe RGB. You can see why there can be weird effects after export if not proofed. Those of us with wide gamut monitors are the most susceptible to be caught out.
Screenshot 2019-01-06 at 15.10.48 copy.jpg

And now aRGB (inside) vs ProPhoto.
Screenshot 2019-01-06 at 15.13.58 copy.jpg
That's a huge difference. Your monitor has no chance of approaching these boundaries yet cameras and LR operates in this space by default. That is a good thing for future proofing, but it is not great they basically hide it in the corner and just let you figure it out.

{the aRGB or sRGB option in camera only applies to SOOC JPEGS}

The bottom line is: when any colour is maxed out in the output space it goes to xxx,xxx,255, then xxx,255,255 which is the weird look you see. Sometimes it is still perfectly acceptable if there is plenty of info left in the other two components and may still retain reasonable gradation at borderline levels. So there are exception when you can allow it to go overboard very slightly, but usually it just plainly doesn't look good any more.

Last edited:
Which lavender farm is that?
I wanted to take a similar shot but the lavender farm near me charges £100 to shoot there out of hours and during summer when lavender farm is open sunrise or sunset doesnt happen between 9-5 :(

France or any of the southern europe is your best bet. You will find fields a lot better with open access. Somerset lavender had a convenient public footpath just is in the right place. I couldn't confirm if it is still unchanged. But these are all very small fields, and unlike my half decent shot you want a lot more elevation and some landscape features.

France or any of the southern europe is your best bet. You will find fields a lot better with open access. Somerset lavender had a convenient public footpath just is in the right place. I couldn't confirm if it is still unchanged. But these are all very small fields, and unlike my half decent shot you want a lot more elevation and some landscape features.

come May it may not be so easy to just fly over for a weekend!

IIRC my camera RAW colour space only offers sRGB and Adobe 1998 - not pro photo. I have it set to adobe 1998 and the screen profile set to this. I however create sRGB proofs.

{the aRGB or sRGB option in camera only applies to SOOC JPEGS}

come May it may not be so easy to just fly over for a weekend!

I think you are looking at late June to July, though it doesn't make it any easier or harder. You can just drive there and back if you take a couple days off either side of the weekend.

LR Classic CC uses Adobe RGB in the Library module and ProPhoto RGB in the develop module, that is sometimes why you might see a difference if you have switched between the two of them. I generally edit in the higher profile and convert and tweak if necessary for the lower one, sRGB, if required on output.

Last edited:
Back