Lightroom & CS3 question?

Name
Justin
Edit My Images
No
Is there way I can edit an image in CS3 so that it retains the edits in lightroom.

What I mean is I tried this last night and it didn't seem to work, CS3 didn't like it too much - Right click the image and Edit in....

Eventually the image did open but I think it will want to save as ANOTHER independant image. I don't want this I want all masters in Lightroom or one place so I can export the finished job as tiffs 350dpi for print.

Am i doing this the correct way.

For instance I know that in Dreamweaver if I edit an image in fireworks, it retains the edit back to Dreamweaver for the web image. I want this to happen with lightroom - I guess what i am asking here is SHOULD this happen?

With in lightroom you have to add CS3 as the editing package to the preferences, then when you have done your raw editing in lightroom you can say edit with CS3 and it will open photoshop you do your edit then close the file and it will be saved into lightroom library.

Nigel

I should have read your post a little better....

I think you will find that it will make a new file in lightroom everytime, it does in Aperture which I use, and I like it that way as it leaves my Raw alone.

Are you using Lightroom 1.x or 2.x?

Lightroom 2, craikey

I though it would be possible in Lightroom 2, that was one of the the new improved features, I've not used it as don't have Photoshop.

Actually I've just checked the Adobe website (here) and it doesn't look possible. Those pages will be a good guide as to what you can do etc.

My only suggestion is to use stacking or something similar...

Right thanks for that.

A bit disappointing really because it will get confusing if I have just reduced noise etc. on a few images before i export the lot as final tiffs.

I suppose I will have to make a conscious effort to remove the offending item once its complete for each one! tedious..

Of course there are advantages if say you want to apply a vignette, B/W or something like that in Photoshop and retain the original colour also.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Thats a good site as well. Will be doing some more reading on there.

Erm, are you trying to send a raw file to CS3 for editing and have those changes reflected in LR? Not going to happen, neither app will save "edits" to a raw file :nono:

The best you can do is stack the new (edited) file with the original in LR so they stay together.

Is there way I can edit an image in CS3 so that it retains the edits in lightroom.

What I mean is I tried this last night and it didn't seem to work, CS3 didn't like it too much - Right click the image and Edit in....

Eventually the image did open but I think it will want to save as ANOTHER independant image. I don't want this I want all masters in Lightroom or one place so I can export the finished job as tiffs 350dpi for print.

Am i doing this the correct way.

For instance I know that in Dreamweaver if I edit an image in fireworks, it retains the edit back to Dreamweaver for the web image. I want this to happen with lightroom - I guess what i am asking here is SHOULD this happen?
Yes, this can be easily set up. Once you have CS3 as your editing package in LR prefs, you can right click on an image and select Edit In > CS3 and the image will be opened in CS3 when you can apply whatever edits you require, then when you save the image it is saved also as a new copy in LR right next to the original.

PXL8, and Musicman you have the essence of my question perfectly.

PXL8 That is exactly what I wanted from the software..
Erm, are you trying to send a raw file to CS3 for editing and have those changes reflected in LR? Not going to happen, neither app will save "edits" to a raw file

Thats my answer - No can do.

Musicman, I thank you for your explanation, now I know whats going to happen. I can manage this O.K. now.

Thanks to all comments

Back