Lightroom help- genius required urgently

Name
Barbara
Edit My Images
No
OK so I thought I was clever and renamed all my files with the prefix yyyymmdd followed by the filename. All worked well until one day I stupidly renamed some of my files ddmmyyyy. Now it's easy to rename files but how on earth do I remove the wrong prefix. Help needed please before I go crazy.:bang::bang::bonk::bonk:

rename them to just the filename, then rename them again to the yyyymmdd format?

rename them to just the filename, then rename them again to the yyyymmdd format?

Thanks Marcel, but that is what I thought, but LR thinks that the filename is the new one and won't revert back to the old one. What I have done eventually is use FileRenamer (freeware) and then type in to it the original incorrect prefix, it then selected all files with that prefix, and then I typed in the new prefix and it then batch renamed them. It was a little longwinded as I had to do it for each days batch, but will teach me to be more careful next time.

The next problem I had however was it wouldn't recognise the new file name, so I had to delete all these files from the catologue and reimport them.:bonk::bonk:

Anyway all working OK now.(y)

Ahh I use CKRename as a mass renamer for files :)

You can batch rename in windows XP, select all the images, right click on the first one and choose rename, type in your new name hit ok and they will all change, no need for freeware. Wayne

You can batch rename in windows XP, select all the images, right click on the first one and choose rename, type in your new name hit ok and they will all change, no need for freeware. Wayne

Ah, but that can't work because I needed to strip the wrong date out of all files and then input the creation date from the files metadata followed by the original file name as off camera.:shake:

Not sure if this will work but I once used a renaming tool to remove the first (so many) characters from the filenames. If you did this and removed the first 8 characters of each file would you not be left with the filename? Then you could rename in LR with the dates as you wanted them.

Ahh I use CKRename as a mass renamer for files :)

That really is such a good programme, I got the tip from you ages ago and it's excellent (y)

Not sure if this will work but I once used a renaming tool to remove the first (so many) characters from the filenames. If you did this and removed the first 8 characters of each file would you not be left with the filename? Then you could rename in LR with the dates as you wanted them.

Yes that would have worked better than what I did. I didn't realise in my panic that there was an advanced mode in the rename program that would have allowed me to do this. I have tested this method and it works. Top of the class marks - you get the genius cap.:clap::clap:

Back