Lightroom Panoramas from film

Name
Kell
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just picked up my film camera after a very long hiatus.

Got my negs developed and scanned and wanted to combine a couple to make one shot - specifically an HDR as one was over-exposed, and one was under.

In Lightroom I tried this and got a message to say it was unable to as it didn't have meta-data for the images.

Did I do something wrong. I'm not at home at the minutes to check the files, but I'd assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that this was just something Lightroom did from the image, rather than the data stored with it.

It wasn't going to be an amazing image, just a test, but it's confused me.

I just tried with a four image panorama I shot a few years (commercially scanned) and a three shot panorama I home scanned. Lr Classic stitched them both fine.

Affinity Photo makes panorama images just fine for film scans...

I’ve a suspicion it’s the HDR part that is causing trouble for you; Lightroom will want the exposure information to do the blending properly

Yeah. I did start to wonder that.

As I day above I figured it would ‘look’ at the images and use them as a guide.

Might try stitching them first and then see what happens to the exposure.

As I say, it’s never going to be a great shot anyway, I was just curious.

Photoshop may do it as that had an auto align and you can get it to blend tones.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
I’ve a suspicion it’s the HDR part that is causing trouble for you; Lightroom will want the exposure information to do the blending properly
That was my thought as well,. I don't know if you can add that metadata or not. You might want to try to add the exposure info.

Looking back at the OP, I get the impression you were after exposure blending rather than panorama? I think I've done this with Affinity Photo with images originating from film.

Looking back at the OP, I get the impression you were after exposure blending rather than panorama? I think I've done this with Affinity Photo with images originating from film.

either/or tbh

As they weren't taken with a tripod AND one was over-exposed and one was under-exposed they needed both stitching together/aligning and blending.

Just to help complete the circle here are the two images (as mentioned, I don't rate them, I was just curious to see if I could make one good one.

It was one of the lights outside Madame Tussauds.

1708014070635.png 1708014203251.png

I would have thought that there was enough 'recognisable similarities' to align and maybe attempt a limited exposure blend, but as I say neither LR or PS would do it.

1708014347623.png

Here was my attempt at doing it manually in Photoshop.

1708014380395.png

As i say - none of this was really in an attempt to produce a good image, but more to just get a feel for the possibilities of PP on scanned film.

Last edited:
Back