Lightrrom catalogue on an external Disk is not good!

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Ugh, having my lightroom catalogue and photos on the same external USB disk is so very slow but its the only way I can use both my desktop pc and laptop in synchronisation!

Unless anyone else can give me an idea.

No, it's slow as LR spends a lot of time trawling through the database. Manually moving the catalog file around with the raws on the HD is the next best option.

Ugh, having my lightroom catalogue and photos on the same external USB disk is so very slow but its the only way I can use both my desktop pc and laptop in synchronisation!

Unless anyone else can give me an idea.

Go to the catalogue settings menu/preferences and click “Relaunch and Optimize”, this should do the trick, if not then try having smaller, separate catalogues as opposed to one huge one. (y)

It may sound a little OTT but it works a treat for me, each client a has a catalogue to themselves and my personal stuff is split into categories - macro, landscapes, family etc.

If needs be, importing a catalogue into another catalogue is a piece of piddle, it inlcudes all your edits, collections etc and as long as you remain organized with the locations of your raw folders there won't be any missing file issues.

I keep my catalog on my internal hard drive (which is backed up to my external drive once a week) and then I keep my RAW's on my external hard drive and it seems to work ok.

I do this as well - and that coupled with spliting into smaller catalogs seems to cause no speed issues

Hugh

I keep my catalog on my internal hard drive (which is backed up to my external drive once a week) and then I keep my RAW's on my external hard drive and it seems to work ok.

How does that solve the issue of using the catalog on two different machines :thinking:

How does that solve the issue of using the catalog on two different machines :thinking:

I have an identical issue, a lappy I have all week and part time access to a powerful editing machine and it drives me nuts, does anyone know a way to sync a LR library via LAN or via an external hd (either good both would be lush)

You can't, at least not automatically. The catalog can't be used from a network location so the best you can do is either run it from an external drive or copy/paste it as you move from machine to machine - forget once and lose data :(

Use MS's Synctoy util to copy/backup your LR Catalogs... just remember to do it each time you swap machines. I do this with my laptop when I have to swap files or show my lifeboat shots to my regional PR boss. It is a pain but it works :)

Back