Little Millie

Name
Gillian
Edit My Images
Yes
This is our little Grand-daughter Millie (17 months). We were visiting last night and the sun was very bright and at the moment I pressed the shutter Grand-dad (B-L-E-S-S) stepped behind me blocking my light. After recomposing, she didn't have the same 'look'. Never mind. I have softened the edges of the photo up to her face, but now not sure if I like it. It also looks good (imo) in B&W.

What do you think?

8618lr.jpg

Oops! I can't see it. Just a Red X. Admin - help please!

8618lr.jpg

lovely expression. Pity about the shade but I suspect, had you used the sunshine, the expression wouldn't have been the same.

That's a lovely little keeper image Gilly ... (y) ... the innocence of babes captured very well imgo ... :D

It might just be me but I think the eyes look a little soft rather than in yer face sharp as they could/should be ... :shrug: ... and then again it could well have been the look you were after as the whole image has that sort of soft fuzzy look about it ... :thinking: ... or I could just be digging myself one deep hole ... :D

:p

It might just be me but I think the eyes look a little soft rather than in yer face sharp as they could/should be ... :shrug: ... and then again it could well have been the look you were after as the whole image has that sort of soft fuzzy look about it ... :thinking: ... or I could just be digging myself one deep hole ... :D

You are correct Ven, they are looking a little soft. Probably me when I added a bit of Gaussian Blur. The original is as sharp as a pin. Thanks for your comments.

Do you think I should try it in B&W?

Thats a lovely picture - a definite keeper. Nice depth of field too.
Just one thing, I wonder if the white balance is a little off or there is a very slight greenish colour cast to the pic - might be my monitor though :shrug:.
But it doesn't really detract from the photo though - its still a lovely shot :clap:

Ven, why does it do that?

Hey it looks better in B&W as you can't see the tea stain all down her front. She insisted on drinking Grand-dad's tea from his mug. I offered to take it hope and soak in Vanish!

Ven, why does it do that?

It is because you are pasting the location into the image insert box but not taking out the "http//" that is already in the text insert box ... :shrug: ... if that makes sense Gilly ... ;)

HTH ... :D

It is because you are pasting the location into the image insert box but not taking out the "http//" that is already in the text insert box ... :shrug: ... if that makes sense Gilly ... ;)

HTH ... :D

Thanks. I wondered why there were 2 //http's. I have noticed it is a new system we are using now.

love the black and white :) those eyes!!! what a beautiful little lady :)

you know gilly...I love that shot in mono...have you tried cropping in closer to her beautiful eyes? Just above the eyebrows... ;)

Thanks guys for your comments. I think it is better in Mono too. However, her Mum thinks the colour version displays her character more.

Marianne, I will have a go at some cropping later. I am fiddling about with some new born photos at the moment - Millie's little brother born last Wednesday. I got some shots of baby Coby less than an hour old. Funny, although they are lovely first shots, he has changed so much in 5 days. He looks more delicate now. Anyway, will post some up tomorrow. I am doing a proper shoot of him at the weekend - can't wait! I did Millie at 12 days old and that was fun.

B&W works a treat (y)

If they insist on the colour version I'd be tempted to warm it up a tad as the shade has added a little too much coldness to the shot (mind you I tend to like my shots on the warm side). If you look at the last page of the great tutorial Milou posted http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=29636 there is a guide to warming up cold shots using curves. I find this works a treat for warming up these sorts of shots.

Thanks Mohain. You know, I have never used curves. I will definitely read your link and see if I can grasp the method. Don't hold your breath though. (y)

Back