Live band shots

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I took some photographs of some live bands last weekend, here are a few of the better ones, let me know what you think :)

Alan.

__b1.jpg

__b2.jpg

__b3.jpg

__b4.jpg

__b5.jpg

__b6.jpg

__b7.jpg

i always think the same, if your gonna include any of the headstock, it needs to be complete in the shot, same with the hand in the same picture.

good set though, band photograph is great fun

Thanks for the comments all,

The 'cropping' is not really cropping at all, its the lens I was using vs the distance from my subject.

I have two lenses that I use at Gigs (cos its soo dark normally) and they are a 28-80 Sigma F2.8 which is okay, but 2.8 needs really high ISO.

My favorite lens is a Canon F1.2 85mm. Its really fast, and means I can lower the ISO, but the trade off is that I don't get too much in the frame.

I can't wait to buy whatever is going to replace the 5D, as then I will have almost half as much again in my shots (the 85mm on a full frame will be very similar to a 55mm on my current body)

Having said that, I do think coming in tight does produce some interesting shots and allows the viewer to see things they may not normally see at a gig.

As for the guitar head, yeah nice to get it in, sometimes the neck (esp on a bass) can be really long, and you end up with a lot of empty spaces trying to get it in :)

Plus with a lot of the metal bands you are dealing with people that run around, jump up and down and generally swish their hair around a lot, its amazing to get anything at all some times :)

Oooh - check out the sexy long haired Akakios guys (ok, well the middle one :love: ).

Ahem.. they are good shots, and as I've said many a time before, I think band shots work MUCH better in mono. Just gives them that more gritty feel.

Love No. 1 Nice shot

Great work WW, I would think under very tough conditions without flash.

I think these are very good, especially #1 (drummers are soooo hard to get a decent shot of). Love the energy of #2 and the light in #7.

Super stuff!!

I agree about the issue with lenses....I use both the 24-70mm f2.8 and the 50mm f1.8. but always have the problem that you have highlighted....f2.8 often not fast enough and 50mm too narrow.

What do other gig togs recommend???

Back