Light_Painting.jpg

4. Light Painting

Big_Wheel1.jpg
[/IMG]
5. Big Wheel

Albert_Dock1.jpg
[/IMG]
6. Albert Dock - Night Time

Thank you for taking your time to look at my first attempt at night time photography. Please offer any feed back you see fit!.....:)

5 is best for me
have you tried doing some colour balance adjustments on the sodium lighting...
your camera may have the adjustment on board but you can do it in pp
i think
may have a go to put my pp where my mouth is..:D
cheers
geof

Would have to been nice to see the whole of the White Star building. I think it was from the balcony that the loss of the Titanic was announced?

If you can crack the white balance then you will have some pleasing images.

Nick

Would have to been nice to see the whole of the White Star building. I think it was from the balcony that the loss of the Titanic was announced?

Nick

:wacky:
yes i meant white balance...i did an edit which changed it a bit...but not too well
any advice Nick where to do this
cheers
geof

Depends, where the image is stored and what software you use. I use Aperture 3.0 which has a set of WB presets that you can use post production from one of the front tabs. In my camera I shoot in RAW and can adjust the WB even after I have taken the image. However, I think the best place to do this is in the post processing . No doubt other software users will pop along and tell you in a bit where it is on there.

From my point of view I try to set the WB on the camera prior to taking the image(s) in the first instance as it's a solid base to work from later.

Nick

Depends, where the image is stored and what software you use. I use Aperture 3.0 which has a set of WB presets that you can use post production from one of the front tabs. In my camera I shoot in RAW and can adjust the WB even after I have taken the image. However, I think the best place to do this is in the post processing . No doubt other software users will pop along and tell you in a bit where it is on there.

From my point of view I try to set the WB on the camera prior to taking the image(s) in the first instance as it's a solid base to work from later.

Nick

(y)
will remember that as i would have gotten the same results...and had to to pp

Thanks very much for feedback! Really appreciated. Ive got Aperture but not used it yet 😊. I've only just started using my Canon EOS 400d on manual settings. Since taking this set of pics I have found the WB setting but don't seem to have a preset one for sodium lighting (at least I don't think I have) the only WB for lighting apart from flash is tungsten and fluorescent..... Hope I'm not being to thick..... There is an option to custom WB, but not sure on how to do this. I promised myself to learn how to take photos correctly in shot rather than making too many alterations post productions..... Dunno if I'm being too hard on myself.

Blank_Canvas said:

Nick

It is where the announcement of the Titanic sinking was made.... I think I was getting too carried away with getting the light trails from the cars.... Lesson learnt though... Thanks for feedback.

Thanks very much for feedback! Really appreciated. Ive got Aperture but not used it yet 😊. I've only just started using my Canon EOS 400d on manual settings. Since taking this set of pics I have found the WB setting but don't seem to have a preset one for sodium lighting (at least I don't think I have) the only WB for lighting apart from flash is tungsten and fluorescent..... Hope I'm not being to thick..... There is an option to custom WB, but not sure on how to do this. I promised myself to learn how to take photos correctly in shot rather than making too many alterations post productions..... Dunno if I'm being too hard on myself.

there may not be sodium settings...its more probably better to do in pp
cheers
geof

I am probably going to start an argument but here goes..... Why do a lot of people insist on altering the colour cast of sodium lighting on night shots? Isn't the colour cast part of the reason you took the picture in the first place? The only criticism that I would make is that perhaps you may like to move your position in phots 2 and 3 so that you loose the trees and lamposts. Also in pictures 2 and 5 you may once again care to alter your position so that you dont cut the top off the big wheel and the building.

Last edited:
I am probably going to start an argument but here goes..... Why do a lot of people insist on altering the colour cast of sodium lighting on night shots? Isn't the colour cast part of the reason you took the picture in the first place? The only criticism that I would make is that perhaps you may like to move your position in phots 2 and 3 so that you loose the trees and lamposts. Also in pictures 2 and 5 you may once again care to alter your position so that you dont cut the top off the big wheel and the building.

if you try it you might get some insight as to the way the tonality takes on a better contast range..
cheers
geof

To be honest geof, I havn't got a clue what your're talking about!
I'am quite confident in your opinion that the tonality takes on a better contrast range. However my question remains, Isn't the sodium lighting part of the reason that you took the picture in the first place?

Back