Liverpool Xmas Market - Real D700 test run

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
So I finally got some time alone with my D700. I'm finding the AF to be a little tricky. Its cost me some shots and I've got a way to go before I completely get it nailed. I'm used to my 30D. I know how it works and how to make it do what I want. The biggest problem I have is that it takes ages going from left to right. I've set AF wrap around but I forget its there. *tap* *tap* *tap* *tap* *tap* *tap* *tap* *tap* *tap* *tap* *tap* *tap* *tap* there. 30D, while limited, was quick. I could switch between AF points top left and top right so quickly, and they're perfectly on the rule of thirds. So, its tricky but this is Nikons 2nd from the top of the range body so it must be ok. I just have to play.

I must admit that the D700 + 50mm is lovely to wander round with. I often didn't like the bulk of my 30D due to the grip and its quite refreshing having a body without it. Its just really nice. Auto ISO is a dream. Set it and go. Some shots were metered completely wrong, not sure why yet. I've got to get used to the fact that I can choose the AF point instead of focusing and then moving the camera. I can just set it where I want.

Anyway, to the photos. OMG! I spent most of tonight using the 50mm. Its so nice. Its so nice. It is SO nice! So I'll let them do the talking.

DSC_0277.jpg

DSC_0285.jpg

DSC_0287.jpg

DSC_0291.jpg

DSC_0296.jpg

DSC_0309.jpg

DSC_0325.jpg

DSC_0336.jpg

DSC_0341.jpg

DSC_0354.jpg

So that's where Rudolf is. He got lost last night on the way home from the pub.

Superb as always Pete.

Looks like the new kit was well worth it.

If I had to pick a fave it would be #14 (Looks like one fed-up reindeer)

Says Pete Carr, all of them. 3 is sublime. 11 and 12 are excellent, and the bokeh in 6 I love.

You are gonna rock this camera.

Gary.

Hi Pete,

I saw you in Liverpool earlier taking pics. That bloody snow machine was doing my head in. Ended up in a restaurant with people asking what that white stuff was all over me.

Nice pics by the way. I'm sure you will enjoy the D700 as much as you enjoyed your Canon gear. (y)

Chris :)

wow, love the grain, really film-ish look to it.

as far as the focus is concerned, has you tried using AF-C with the focus assigned to the AF-On button? This is by far my preferred method.

Fantastic set Pete, can't wait to see what you start producing once you've got it all sussed out!

as far as the focus is concerned, has you tried using AF-C with the focus assigned to the AF-On button? This is by far my preferred method.

Ditto! AF-On button is a much nicer way to control the AF.

Yer the "snow" was a little annoying. I'm surprised no-one slips over and sues the council. But it made for snow like photos which is great.

wow, love the grain, really film-ish look to it.

Thats how I had my 30D setup but it didn't sit right tonight. Maybe thats the problem I had. With the 30D and the focus setup to another button you focus, get a lock and take photos. You can keep shooting once its got a lock. As I was focusing when I hit the shutter I had to hope it got a lock and took a photo, so if it hunted and never locked I lost the shot. Low light stuff is tricky, and a little trickier when you dunno how to best use the camera :D I might try some manual stuff. The bigger viewfinder makes it easier to do manual work.

A great set Pete!
Stunning, & all with 50mm!:eek:

Spence

I think the last 2 are with the 24-70.

Glad you like them :)

yea, the focussing systems are totally different, you really need to play around with it loads to find the way you like it best.
Oh, and I really want a D700 :( elinchrom ranger first though...

Pete, in the auto focus menu, drop the number to 11, this makes things much quicker to fly around on thirds, also on the back of the camera, note that pressing the centre of the dial will expedite taking the focus point back to the middle.

Good set, classic carr with a twist. You were the talk of Bristol today - 'Did you see Pete Carr moved to Nikon, clever lad'....

Pete.

Last edited:
yea, the focussing systems are totally different, you really need to play around with it loads to find the way you like it best.
Oh, and I really want a D700 :( elinchrom ranger first though...

Yer. I feel like such a noob at the mo.

I completely agree with edingburghgary and foggy. lovely set mate.

:)

Pete, in the auto focus menu, drop the number to 11, this makes things much quicker to fly around on thirds, also on the back of the camera, note that pressing the centre of the dial will expedite taking the focus point back to the middle.

Ah, cool. I never really understood the need for 51 AF points. I can see it with 3D tracking which is clever but doesn't seem to work properly for me. But for what I do 51 is over kill. I'll try 11.

Good set, classic carr with a twist. You were the talk of Bristol today - 'Did you see Pete Carr moved to Nikon, clever lad'....

Pete.

Haha :D

Look's like you had a fun time Pete, I am sure you will have that puppy singing in no time.

Great set.

Nigel

Great photos mate.

PLEASE say you went and spent the best £3 of your life, and got a kangaroo burger? They're properly nice.

Don't people mind when you just appear in front of them and take pics? I've never really done it before.

#3 and #13 for me!

Last edited:
they are really cool looking photos, do you get much hassle taking pics of strangers on the street?

wonderful as ever Pete.

Great photos mate.

PLEASE say you went and spent the best £3 of your life, and got a kangaroo burger? They're properly nice.

Don't people mind when you just appear in front of them and take pics? I've never really done it before.

#3 and #13 for me!

No kangaroo burger. Not a huge fan of that sorta thing. People do mind. I saw a guy in Manchester today duck out the way of Jimmy_Lemon as if he'd thrown a knife at him. They mind. But legally you're doing nothing wrong. Some people think you need to ask but you don't.

they are really cool looking photos, do you get much hassle taking pics of strangers on the street?

I don't get a lot of hassle, odd looks and things but no real hassle.

Got to agree with this, and considering this is your first time out with an unfamiliar camera they are a great set. Just goes to show that class is permanent, it doesnt matter what kit you use (y)

Back