Llantwit Major

H

Hoodi

Went for a short gander down to Llantwit Major today - second little jaunt with the D200, which I'm getting more used to now - first proper client shoot with it tommorow, but I'm pretty comfortable with it, so that should go swimmingly :)

I need to remember to up the ISO more, though - to be blunt, I don't like how clean the images are!

On to some snaps :

#1 Walking along the clifftops. Lovely, but the shoreline below looked lovelier, so I descended.
1copyco1.jpg

#2 Beach! Some good waves out at sea, lots of surfers about. I considered taking some shots of them, but time was short and I was more interested in the coast.
2copytu9.jpg

#3 Token IR shot, nothing special. The D200 is usable in a pinch for IR, but not a patch on the D70. In a like-for-like comparison the resolution the D70 outputs far outstrips that of the D200. And the exposure times are roughly three stops shorter. I'll be happy enough to use the D200 for IR if I'm sans D70, but there's really no point when I have the D70 with me.
3fu1.jpg

#4 Harsh lines, harsh contrast.
4copytd8.jpg

#5 Rock pooly thing - was rather pleased with this one when I shot it, but didn't think much of it looking through the shots now :shrug:
5copyqq0.jpg

#6 Decided that said rock pooly thing might offer some more interesting shots if I got down and dirty - so in I hopped an OMFGWOTSIT it was cold, so I screamed like a girl for a bit, snapped this without peeking through the viewfinder and then jumped back out. Fapping.
6copynd3.jpg

#7 Beach junk!
7copyro1.jpg

#8 More beach junk!
8copyfa5.jpg

#9 Rocks, pebbles, sky, flowers & a little bit of beach. It was about here that I dropped the cap in the pebbles - you can see why I never found it :D
9zk0.jpg

And that's yer lot, guys n' gals!

Nice work.

Is Lantwit near Penarth kinda way?

Used to go there every year as folks had a caravan on a site called St. Marys Well Bay.

Kinda. It's certainly not far - actually picked someone up in Penarth and it's about a 15 minute drive from there, along smallish roads. Just down the coast.

Penarth is lovely... Travel down a bit and then you hit Barry which... Isn't so lovely (although it has character, so must make the effort to actually shoot a little there) - then after that it's smallish bays and coves all the way, pretty much. Stays both varied and interesting all the way around to Cardigan bay and beyond!

Kinda. It's certainly not far - actually picked someone up in Penarth and it's about a 15 minute drive from there, along smallish roads. Just down the coast.

Penarth is lovely... Travel down a bit and then you hit Barry which... Isn't so lovely (although it has character, so must make the effort to actually shoot a little there) - then after that it's smallish bays and coves all the way, pretty much. Stays both varied and interesting all the way around to Cardigan bay and beyond!

Yeah, good memories. Used to go there a lot and walk to Sully most evenings which is a great place to shoot as well.

Barry, wow, spent far too much time at Barry Island as a kid - the log flume, what a ride. :LOL:

Back on topic however, you seem to have the landscape art sewn up. Brilliant stuff. The beach junk stuff is excellent - but then I love junk. I always come back to your stuff and re-refer to it and I am going to try and get out either tomorrow or monday to try some stuff.

Nice shots Hoodi.

How do you shoot IR with a digital? Never considered that before.

#5 Rock pooly thing - was rather pleased with this one when I shot it, but didn't think much of it looking through the shots now :shrug:
Funny....but I think it's the better shot here, the green against the meutral rock and pool sets it off nicely. Was gonna ask how your new camera was for IR....but you've answered that.
Nice shots.

hey Hoodi, you sounds mighty displeased with the D200, surely you knew the differences between it and the D70 before you got it...I am hearing dispondency here! The detail is amazing in most of these shots, if you wanted less perfection then I honestly can't understand why you bought it :shrug:

How do you shoot IR with a digital? Never considered that before.

All digicams are inherently IR sensitive... But the manufacturers put hot filters infront of the sensor in order to cut out as much IR as possible (cos' it does funny things to normal shots).

Bearing in mind that inherent IR sensitivity, if you use a "visually opaque" filter, you can cut out visible light. All that's left then is IR light and voila, IR photography! You can get varying filters, some which leave a bit of visible light for good measure (adds a dash of colour & shortens exposure times) some which cut off all visible light, but only just, and some which only actually let through high frequency IR, even cutting out the low frequency IR stuff.

Cheers Kenco - I do think I like it, just perhaps not as much as when I shot it :D

Marianne - not at all, I'm merely trying to say that I really don't think it's heaven & earth over a D70. I did kind of know about IR performance & low ISO performance, but there's nothing quite like testing it.
I like the camera, really I do - I just don't like everything about it, and am merely saying that as I shoot with it.

very nice...good to see you're getting to grips with the d200. always pack the d70 as the spare/IR body it seems. I have to say the combination of a d200+d70 seems like a very good set up.
oh and when you step in cold water - as I have learnt from fishing - just stand perfectly still and once your testicles relax out of your lower abdomen you can continue as before. screaming like a girl...:bonk: dear oh dear...

Well - for a camera you did not seem happy with - a series of a standard we have come to expect. I shall have to investigate IR on the Canon.

Fangman said:
Well - for a camera you did not seem happy with.

Why does everybody seem to get this impression? :s
Just because I'm not hopping about singing its praises doesn't mean I'm in the slightest bit unhappy with it - far from it. I'm just pointing out, as I go along, its downfalls for my own style of shooting - which any camera would have!

Mr. Storm said:
I have to say the combination of a d200+d70 seems like a very good set up.

Definitely - I just got back from shooting my first "proper" (for a client) day with the pair, and it's just bliss. I've been shooting with the D70 & F80 for a while now, and I love a dual body setup - having both digital is the pinnacle of convenience, though!
My only problems were [nearly] running out of power, and [nearly] running out of memory - the D200 guzzles both. I was hardly chimping at all to conserve power, but have another two EN-EL3e's on the way, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm shooting compressed RAW at the moment, but as the day waned on I had to start shooting JPEG fine & then JPEG normal to be able to keep shooting. I've got my eye on a few extra memory cards though, so that won't be an issue after a while, either.
I'm thinking about maybe picking up a second SB-600, too... To be honest I was wanting to use fill flash all the time, but only could with one body (flash kept hopping between the two) - a second SB-600 would solve that issue, and allow me to be extra creative when just shooting with one body.

Hoodi - Thanks for the heads up on IR. Not sure how this passed me by before but I was simply not aware of this.

As far as cards go I have bought from Photo Scotland ( not Scottish and not in Scotland strangely) and received very good service - one card was not as expected and they changed without question or any surcharges.

http://www.photo-scotland.co.uk/acatalog/Compact_Flash.html

Looking good there. You're right about the noise issue. Sure its nice to have clean images but noise is nice sometimes. I hope Canon don't eliminate it completely :)

Looking good there. You're right about the noise issue. Sure its nice to have clean images but noise is nice sometimes. I hope Canon don't eliminate it completely :)

Aye, in a bout of frustration I've added grain to all of these, but it's
a) - just not the same as the real deal.
&
b) - doesn't show on the web versions very well.

I was chatting to a retired pro photog yesterday - he shoots a D2X, but was telling me how he rarely strays below ISO 800, just to get some grain going :D

here's a question, did anybody have a niggling feeling over shots #2 & #5 being HDR? Cos they are... But I was trying to keep them natural looking.

Aye, in a bout of frustration I've added grain to all of these, but it's
a) - just not the same as the real deal.
&
b) - doesn't show on the web versions very well.

I was chatting to a retired pro photog yesterday - he shoots a D2X, but was telling me how he rarely strays below ISO 800, just to get some grain going :D

here's a question, did anybody have a niggling feeling over shots #2 & #5 being HDR? Cos they are... But I was trying to keep them natural looking.

Interesting. having shot with a d2xs last week, I concur on the ISO noise.

I like grain too.

I initially thought that 1 may have been HDR, but not 2 or 5.

very pretty landscapes you have there, very nice

Back