Loads of land granted by farmer

Name
Rick
Edit My Images
No
hi
I went to do a job for a farmer who we do work for today. I mentioned that Id just started doing a bit of wildlife photography and he said I could go on his land anytime. He's got 1000's of acres, woods, ponds, barns etc. I'm excited by this but dont know where to start:bonk: Any advice. I have a 300mm F/4 fitted with a 1.4TC.
ta

Forgot to say I saw 2 Buzzards flying around one small woods.

Last edited:
Hi,

Get out there and see what you can find.

Go with the intent of not finding anything and see what you come across.

Yup, Paul's right about spending some time wandering about to see whats there. Then I'd be looking for a good spot to set up a hide/blind. Somewhere that other people are unlikely to stumble upon it. On the edge of a bit of woodland, with a nice pool for drinking would be excellent. You could place food there if you can visit regularly.

Maybe worth checking if he has anyone shooting on his land too for pest control, last thing you need is to be in a camouflaged hide taking photos and end up been a backstop to a high velocity bullet etc

Ask the farmer, most know their land fairly well, he'll know where foxy lives etc.

Yeah as said before check to see who has shooting rights etc and ask the farmer just to mention to them that you maybe up there sometimes.

This was one of the first things i did when i got some land to wonder around. Also swap mobile numbers.

Good luck and good hunting

The farmer will know where things are,deffo. Though it will pay to get out there, don`t take your camera just yet, go and watch, take note of where the sun rises. Ask if you can put portable hides up.

I have access to loads of farms as well as three private estates,couple of things I always do:

Always ask before you do anything.

Leave things as you find them.

Don`t make a mess.

Help them out with things, just to offer means a lot. Example, I sorted one of the old farmers quad bike out for him, I now have my own key and can use it whenever I want.Plus side to this is that the deer are used to the bike and you can get really close to them.

Thanks for the advice. I'm back there later this week so I can ask about the shooting. I might even stick the binoculars in the van.

The farmer will know where things are,deffo. Though it will pay to get out there, don`t take your camera just yet, go and watch, take note of where the sun rises. Ask if you can put portable hides up.

I have access to loads of farms as well as three private estates,couple of things I always do:

Always ask before you do anything.

Leave things as you find them.

Don`t make a mess.

Help them out with things, just to offer means a lot. Example, I sorted one of the old farmers quad bike out for him, I now have my own key and can use it whenever I want.Plus side to this is that the deer are used to the bike and you can get really close to them.

Top advice, (y)

Back