Location Portrait Lens

Name
Philip wood
Edit My Images
Yes
I am trying to find the most suitable lens for taking hand held portrait type shots on location. I need a focal length up to 200mm I am liking the look of canon f4.00 IS 55-200 where they claim the IS is effective to 4 stops but this lens is for a crop sensor so would go on my 30D which would be a light easy combination using a 580 speedlite.
For group shots etc. I use the 5D with 24-105 L IS USM which I find ideal.
I would appreciate any ideas as to what would be a suitable lens for longer range shots using either the 5D or 30D
Does anyone know how good the 55-200mm is as it seems on the inexpensive side. Thanks.

:help: :help:

IS is of limited use when shooting people as it won't prevent blur from subject movement so even though you could shoot as slow as 1/12s at 200mm it's not really much use.

Do you need a zoom or could use work with a prime and your feet? If so then consider the 135mm f/2L on a crop body. Cracking lens and it ideal for portraits at a distance (y)

Phil the Canon 70-200 F2.8 is a stunning lens i use the none IS version you wont go far wrong with this one.

IS is of limited use when shooting people as it won't prevent blur from subject movement so even though you could shoot as slow as 1/12s at 200mm it's not really much use.

Do you need a zoom or could use work with a prime and your feet? If so then consider the 135mm f/2L on a crop body. Cracking lens and it ideal for portraits at a distance (y)

Agreed - if you're not set on a zoom the 135/2L is a fantastic lens.

Back