Wales Locations around North Wales

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
We're off to Snowdonia in a couple of weeks for a fortnight away so I'll be taking 3 different cameras (Sony A7ii, Canon 40D as a back up and a Canon EOS 600 SLR just because I want to play with a film camera). We're doing the usual kind of stuff around Llanberis and Llyn Padarn, but does anybody have any favourite spots that they always visit in the area that will reap photographic rewards? I'm fully expecting to take 400-500 pictures a day and dumping them to my Macbook and external drive every night.

ps. Does anybody know the exact location of that single tree next to Llyn Padarn that seems to be so popular???

Screenshot 2023-09-18 at 17.28.28.png

I found this on Google. https://www.northwales.com/the-lonely-tree-where-is-it-and-why-is-it-so-special/

If you go get there early because it is a popular spot, when I went I was just too late and 3 other photographers had already set up. Fortunately they were kind enough to make some space for me but I had to stand in the lake (wellies are a good idea).

I got this shot with mt GFX 50S at 32mm.

Lone Tree of Snowdonia Dawn Shot Upload.jpg

Last edited:
Llyn Dinas east of Beddgelert is one of my favourite spots. It can be stunning on a still morning at dawn. _8160411-2.jpg

Likewise Llyn(au) Mymbyr to the west of Capel Curig

_5290700_DxO.jpg

Between these two lakes the A4087 climbs up from the valley and there's a layby where EVERYBODY stops to take a snap or two. You look down on Llyn Gwynant. Your best bet is to get hold of a detailed OS map and find your own locations. If its a book you're after there's one by Nick Livesey called (I think) Photographing Snowdonia Mountains in the Fotovue series which will give you some good ideas, especially if you like getting up into the mountains.

If you like a bit of industrial decay head for the https://www.llechi.cymru/slateareas/dinorwigquarry near Llanberis

You'll need to ignore the "Do not enter" signs but if you are sensible it's quite safe to wander about, there are lots of photos to take, come rain or shine.

Someone has very handily walked most of it and the pictures are on Google Maps

D

5D4_2038_1500.jpg
5D4_2068_1500.jpg

At the moment I would recommend bringing wellies and possibly a rubber dinghy though .. there’s always the castles to take photos of to , the north coastal area has lots . Ewloe,flint,rhuddlan, Harlech also Conway and Caernarfon but those are tourist traps ..
the boat at greenfield . the New harbour bridge at rhyl at night , just a few ideas for you to mull over

Yeah, as others have said we get liquid sunshine in Wales, and it tends to be windy with it so dont rely on a brolly.

check out llyn ogwen area if its honeypot locations you're after

Here are a few images I've taken in Snowdonia over the last couple of years. If you view the images in Flickr then you will find GPS locations for each.

These are mostly honeypot locations but I do try to avoid them and find my own unique images. I've never had the urge to shoot the lone tree on Llyn Padarn.

Room with a View by Elliott Coleman, on Flickr

Tŵr Mawr Lighthouse - EXPLORED 15/11/2022 by Elliott Coleman, on Flickr

Llyn Cregennan Boathouse - EXPLORED 25/09/2022 by Elliott Coleman, on Flickr

Tryfan - EXPLORED 28/02/2022 by Elliott Coleman, on Flickr

Waterfalls on the Watkin Path by Elliott Coleman, on Flickr

Pen yr Ole Wen by Elliott Coleman, on Flickr

Long Forgotten - Dinorwic by Elliott Coleman, on Flickr

Llyn Idwal Reflections - EXPLORED 05/09/2021 by Elliott Coleman, on Flickr

Last edited:

Photographing North Wales by Simon kitchin is a pretty good book imo. Gives you location and car parking info etc. About £20 on Amazon.​

You can just drop me message if you want, i live close enough to Snowdonia to get there in 20mins can show you around

That second photo is great to me. I seldom enjoy a landscape much unless there's an old homestead in it! I was wondering what they were made of over there! Beautiful photo!

Last edited:
That second photo is great to me. I seldom enjoy a landscape much unless there's an old homestead in it! I was wondering what they were made of over there! Beautiful photo!
Thanks Don.

The conditions were challenging but enjoyed the day as always.

They say if conditions are s***e shoot black and white but happy this turned out well in colour.

Back