Locations within Cambridgeshire??

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
HI all,

I'd like to do a bit more landscape shooting, but am at a loss of local(ish) decent landscapes...

Where do you all recomend within Cambridgeshire?

Thanks in advance!

Rob

Something I would like to know too because whenever I think of anything all I think of is flat areas!

Isnt cambridgeshire renowned for its fens? If so maybe try finding a nice fen as a lead in line to something interesting in the distance, bridge, tree, church, farm or something. Combine with a sunrise or sunset as well. Just a thought.

Get the OS map of your area. It will show all sorts of features that could be useful in photos - churches, other buildings, woods, rivers, lakes etc.

Download 'The Photographer's Ephemeris' -

http://photoephemeris.com/

It shows the time and direction of sunrise and sunset (and moon too) for any day. While sunsets (or rises )do not have to be included in landscape shots they can certainly help.

TPE and an OS map are very useful when looking for good landscape locations.

Dave

Check out the mid point of the a623 between Cambridge and orwell- a couple of hills with well placed trees etc are there. Do a Google map walk to check it out.

Depends what you mean by landscape but Cambridge itself should keep you going for a while.

As far as picturesque towns go there is also the centre of St Ives with the river and chapel on the bridge. Abbots Ripton near Huntingdon with chocolate box thatched cottages. Saffron Walden isn't that far although not strictly Cambridgeshire.

There are a couple of national trust places including Wimpole Hall and Houghton Mill. Welney wildfowl reserve. What about the gallops around Newmarket (strictly speaking Suffolk but only just).

Then the fens. Wide open spaces with big skies but I don't know that part as well as the south so others may be able to advise you better.

Andrew

The best thing to do, when in Lincolnshire, Cambridgeshire or Norfolk for photography, is go somewhere - anywhere - else.

The best thing to do, when in Lincolnshire, Cambridgeshire or Norfolk for photography, is go somewhere - anywhere - else.

I completely disagree with this comment, the fens have some great photo opportunities, if you know where to look and keep your eyes open.

You live in Spalding, have a slow walk around Crowland at sunset. :)

Agree with Alan, there are great opportunities for photography in the fens, or indeed any landscape.

Dave

Well..the op did ask about landscapes and after 5 or so months I hope he's found some.
The opportunity for great landscapes is not to good around Cambridgeshire but there are many other opportunities.
Here's a few places that might be of interest that I've found while travelling many many miles of Cambridgeshire roads...
Six mile Bottom, heading towards Haverhill there are a few chances to get shots back towards Cambridge.
Cambridge itself has many beautiful buildings, a good one is to park on the inner ring road and then walk across the river, and view the bridges, then into the grounds of Kings College.
Ely has quite a few places on the outskirts to get shots of the Cathedral.
Fen Drayton lakes (my current favourite) plenty of different lakes and lots of wildlife, great for sunrises and sunsets.
http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/f/fendraytonlakes/
Gratham water and a bit further up the A1 Rutland water, again water, wildlife and sunsets
Barnack holes and holes...only small but very unusual (another favourite)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnack_Hills_&_Holes_National_Nature_Reserve
Here's an example..

Tree2 by martyndt, on Flickr
Hinchingbrooke park on the Brampton road out of Huntingdon...walks through the woods, activities for the youngsters to stop them getting bored while you snap away, plenty of water and wildlife.
http://www.huntingdonshire.gov.uk/L...inchingbrooke Country Park/Pages/default.aspx
Another example...

Hinchingbrooke winter reeds by martyndt, on Flickr

That's just a few I'm sure there's a lt more, Cambridgeshire...no hills, very flat but plenty of other opportunities (y)

Last edited:
Anybody who thinks that the fens offer something other than one or two good shots obviously haven't travelled around the UK.

Anybody who thinks that the fens offer something other than one or two good shots obviously haven't travelled around the UK.

OR is just a little bit more adept at getting a good shot regardless of location...

As I understand it part of the of our photographic equipment is an eye for a shot. Some of those shots are not immediately obvious, but when obtained are an immense source of pleasure. These Counties are full of wonderful photographic opportunites.

........which just leaves the individual to work out how to get them...........
:shrug:

Last edited:
You need to have alook at my friend Bob's work if you think the fens are boring ... http://bobdavisphotography.co.uk/p358993249

Terrific images of a standard that I could never hope to reach. However, I wonder over what period of time these were taken. In any other part of the country it's possible to go out for a day's shooting and get one or two good images regardless of weather or lighting.

Mike, good landscape photography is as much, if not more, about timing than any other factor. Anyone can go out with a modern camera and take a technically good shot but creating something exceptional requires exceptional circumstances. Such circumstances are not common. I grant you that the fens are not as dramatic geographically as some parts of the UK but they do have some pretty unique qualities - as Bob's work shows. Good things come in little packages ......

As I understand it part of the of our photographic equipment is an eye for a shot. Some of those shots are not immediately obvious, but when obtained are an immense source of pleasure. These Counties are full of wonderful photographic opportunites.

........which just leaves the individual to work out how to get them...........
:shrug:

:plus1:

There's no doubt that some locations are more photogenic than others, I'm lucky to live near one of the best of them, Snowdonia, but there's opportunities everywhere although most won't be found whilst driving by in a car or searching the web, much time is needed to "reccy" locations and find opportunities..this relates to most places too, it's a very lucky occurence if you just turn up without any planning and manage to capture an impressive landscape shot

Simon

Familiarity breeds contempt. I know that I live in a stunning part of the country, but sometimes it's difficult to recognise its uniqueness because I see it every day. I'm drawn instinctively further afield - be it the Lake District, the Vale of York, the coast or wherever - because the lay of the land is different, the colour of the stone is different from what I see when I'm home. It's not just easy to lose perspective, sometimes it's actually hard not to.

I've always loved the area I live in, and always felt grateful that it was so accessible to me, but it wasn't until I'd lived abroad for a few years that I could finally see it how visitors saw it. I returned to visit family for the first time in 5 years, and while here found myself utterly in awe of the Yorkshire Dales. 5 months later, I'd sold up and come home.

If you really want to begin to fully appreciate the place you live, move away.

I'd echo that sentiment from Simon. I cross Dartmoor so regularly that when the weather's dull (as it often is down here) I often view much of the terrain as nothing more than a load of grey rocks in the middle of nowhere. It's only when the light hits it right does it seem to come alive.

Back