Loch Leven, Cleish hills, the D3 and me...

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
I managed to leave work a little early today (it helps when you own the company ;) ) and went straight out with the D3.
First stop was Loch Leven (Kinrosshire) where I spent a good couple of hours getting to grips with the D3 and the 24-70 f2.8
Here's a few of the processed images, it's amazing how fast you can fill 2x 8Gb of CF cards up!

All C&C welcome, exif attached.

Thanks for looking, Gary

LochLevenD1049-crop-pp-800px.jpg

LochLevenD1147-pp-800px.jpg

LochLevenD1157-pp-800px.jpg

Next stop was into the Cleish hills, a favourite haunt of mine and only 10mins from my door.
This shot was taken in a small gully just off the main road and is a place I've been watching for years now, but never visited.
This wee burn eventually runs into Loch Leven, some 6 miles away and is my first crack at getting the "silky" water effect.

lochlevend2170-pp-800px.jpg

#2 and #4 are my pick here you got the exposure spot on for the woolly water effect
Some dont like milky water but I am a fan

Cathal

No 2 and 3 for me - briliant reflections in the foreground as well.
Being picky No 3 is my favourite - very effect low shot. (y)

Can I ask how the exposures look on your monitors?
I printed a couple of these and had to lift the highlights/shadows to get them right, I think my Laptop monitor needs calibrated.

Thanks for the comments, Gary

like em all, colours look a little pale on my monitor apple cinema display calibrated just tweeaked the saturation and vibrance in cs4 on 2 & 4 made a big differance for me but thats personal taste, great shots though.

Nos. 2 & 3 are the pick for me. I do not like the big FG shadow in No.1 and too much sky in No.4

2 & 3 for me too - colours all look fine - maybe just a tad on the dark side - but that suits these images.

Stunning pictures. Could have done with a bit more foreground in focus in pic 4?

Funnily enough I was cycling past that very same burn yesterday morning with a thought of how picturesque it is. Glad I didn't have my photo gear as it's a steep enough hill to cycle up without the extra load of photo gear! :eek:

Curious as to where you were able to get so close to the waters edge at Loch Leven. Most of the footpath round the loch that I've explored doesn't go too near the water.

All in all, very nice pictures - it just goes to show you don't need to travel very far to get nice photo locations.

Stunning pictures. Could have done with a bit more foreground in focus in pic 4?

Funnily enough I was cycling past that very same burn yesterday morning with a thought of how picturesque it is. Glad I didn't have my photo gear as it's a steep enough hill to cycle up without the extra load of photo gear! :eek:

Curious as to where you were able to get so close to the waters edge at Loch Leven. Most of the footpath round the loch that I've explored doesn't go too near the water.

All in all, very nice pictures - it just goes to show you don't need to travel very far to get nice photo locations.

Thanks for the comments Brian (and everyone else); there is a wooden bird hide round the new footpath from the graveyard back, it looks onto the side of the Castle Island and the bower, about a 10 minute photographers walk from the car park ;)
It's well worth a trip around that path, it goes past the "Big Hoose" and the estate, leading to the golf course at the Green Hotel, then onto the Burley Sands area.
I've a few more to process this evening so I'll post a few after a shower (just in from work).

Gary

Hey Gary, they all look fine on my Macbook monitor, and also on my Phillips monitor too.

Love #2, gorgeous image. Hasn't taken you long to get to grips with that D3 eh... :)

Thanks John!

It's really not much of a leap from the D300, very similar feel and menu system, it just does things a little more accurate, faster and precise.
I've a long way to go and a lot to learn yet, getting the CLS sorted out is the next step :)

Gary

2 and 3 for me too.

As to how the exposure looks on my monitor - #4 may be a bit down but the others look fine.

Back