Loch Lomond

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys

Three shots to share of Loch Lomond taken on New Years Day.

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

Mike

Hi Mike,
Tell me to **** off if you like but I hope this can help. The images appear to be on the soft side. Take no 3 for example, the exif info says ISO 100, 59mm, f8 and 1/320sec. OK so that seems good. So either the focus is slightly out or perhaps it just needs some USM.
The images also seem a bit on the flat side so I'm wondering if these images are unprocessed, i.e. straight form the camera.

After a little levels, colour balance and USM the sharpness and contrast improve. Using the original would be better still.

P.S. I have a soft spot for this hill. :embarasse

loch-lomond.jpg

Hi Garnock

You carry on, i appreciate it, i was pm'ing Matty last night, i was really getting frustrated, I shot the images in RAW, and processed them into tiff's, and was quite proud of how they turned out, however, from there to getting them upto the web i am having problems.

Would you mind if i emailed you the tiff for you to have a play with.

Thanks Mike

I love these shots, especially the middle one! Sometimes when you downsize a large image they become soft and need sharpening a bit to bring them back as they were in the larger file....apparently this is a known thingy but I made the observation myself.....why does it happen? :banghead:

I love the skies in these shots, its not often we get a decent sky in Scotland, or rather one thats not grey and dank.

much better Mike, the processed versions look much better, you always lose some resolution and sharpness on resizing, so always using the best possible resolution and sizes is what i try and do, resize image then save for web, this is the way i do it(no really, i have actually posted some shots before.....)

Save the sharpening until you have the picture at its final size, so get it to web dimentions and then sharpen, also try different methods of sharpening. I find that "Smart Sharpen" in photoshop works really well but Bachs has done a great tutorial which covers all the main ways and their differences, that can be found on the site here.

BTW I would just like to say that your reprocessed versions are very good and worlds apart from the first one in the thread. Well done :)

barrymoir said:
I love the skies in these shots, its not often we get a decent sky in Scotland, or rather one thats not grey and dank.

Tell me about it!!!!

Mike, the shots are great...especially your verion #2's

Nice to see some definate improvement there!

One thing I would add is......

When you resize your images smaller for web use, I would suggest using the 'bicubic sharper' option, as it will then remove the slight softening you get when downsizing an image.

My personal workflow is that I sharpen the image at the end of processing at full size and viewed at 100% so you can keep a careful eye on artifacts and halos etc. Then if it's going out to the web, I'll re-sample the image using bicubic sharper.

Seems to work ok.

Much better after you've altered them in PS Mike! Great shots too :)

Back