London at night

thanks for that .. strangly thats the only one of the selection that has a touch of HDR, all the other were just with a couple of tweaks

i think the camera i used that evening is very underrated, and the lens is superb .. Sony A77 + Sony 16-50 2.8

Last edited:
fantastic photos.
what was your aperture speeds used?
and do you normally use spot metering for these sort of shots?

fantastic photos.
what was your aperture speeds used?
and do you normally use spot metering for these sort of shots?

i was using 50 ISO and anything ranging from 15 seconds through to around 30 seconds, depending what it was.
for these sort of shots i like to use f11 put change it around a bit to suit.
i don't use any metering system, i just use a bit of trial and error normally, but the night i took these i was using a Sony A77 and using the live view you can get the exposure pretty much right before taking the shot, it works really well.

and thanks for the comments everyone .. i know they're not going to be everyone's cup of tea, which is why i put them up for critique.

Brilliant images that are very sharp. I took a similar shot to no.1, different viewpoint though, on my mobile phone and it looked awful! It was January 21st and the sky looked about the same.

These.... I like.....all of them.

My favourite has to be the last one, BUT why-o-why did you not clone out the bright star.

Last edited:
Some really great images there, care to share the 'tweaks'? :)

Great shots, I love them.

Back