London Lomo store closes

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
I know Lomo have their lovers and loathers but I'm sad the London store closed on Saturday. Regardless of how you feel about their trendy, hipster, overpriced and sometimes questionable products anything that gets people shooting film can only be a good thing imho.

To be fair they've had a good run in London, over 10 years I think, they've championed the world of quirky lo-fi photography, brought some rubbish and some interesting and rather good products to the market and been partly responsible for the resurgence in film photography.

I for one will miss them and their ability to annoy the f*** out of the purists :D

Must be well out of touch with things as I have not heard of LOMO ?

But it’s not about the camera is it Asha?

It's an important factor that the camera that one uses feels "comfortable" and "blends" with the photographer so everyone to their own, however I don't see the logic of paying out a small fortune for an outfit that possibly has a plastic lens, is made 100% plastic, possibly suffers from light entry from day one, offers fantastic "flare" as a result of inferior optics etc etc
If I wanted that I'd return to searching out some cheap old so called "toy" cameras of yesteryear to scratch that itch.

As for my own kit, specifically the Leica, I'd quite happily let it go in place of something else of "decent" quality such as an FE2.

I hang on to it as it feels nice to use ( as did my old FE2) and primarily because it is the only camera in that film format that I now possess but be assured it's not kept for some sort of Ego trip!!

That looks more like a web forum than a shop

It possibly is, I dunno.

It was one of the first results I gort when googling LOMO

I didn't have a yearn to sift through to see what that site, or any other LOMO site had to offer tbh :LOL:

As for my own kit, specifically the Leica, I'd quite happily let it go in place of something else of "decent" quality such as an FE2.

I hang on to it as it feels nice to use ( as did my old FE2) and primarily because it is the only camera in that film format that I now possess but be assured it's not kept for some sort of Ego trip!!

Nikon FE2 - started my love affair with Nikon cameras!

Shame. They were in the best location (although a bit tucked away), central, in London - if they can't survive in that locale, they wouldn't have been able to survive anywhere. Purchased their 110 film when it first came out from there.

I take some comfort in thinking that their shop closure is probably more a consequence of commercial retail rent and business rate costs, rather than a decline in film-related photography sales. If not, could it possibly be that the new wave of film photographers have come of age and realised what good value vintage and classic cameras (from a box Brownie to a latter-day autofocus 35mm SLR that will work with today's lenses) still are?

I came across this store completely by accident in December when I was visiting London for a couple of days. Obviously I dragged the mrs in and had a look, but came out empty handed after looking at the prices of things.

Lomo isn't something I'm really into, but the photos do have a certain appeal and they've got a lot of people into film which is great. It's all just a bit of nonsensical fun, which is something that's often missing in the serious world of photography.

It's an important factor that the camera that one uses feels "comfortable" and "blends" with the photographer so everyone to their own, however I don't see the logic of paying out a small fortune for an outfit that possibly has a plastic lens, is made 100% plastic, possibly suffers from light entry from day one, offers fantastic "flare" as a result of inferior optics etc etc
If I wanted that I'd return to searching out some cheap old so called "toy" cameras of yesteryear to scratch that itch.

Slightly off topic but which Leica is it and how about a trade for a lovely F3/T?

Slightly off topic but which Leica is it and how about a trade for a lovely F3/T?

It's an M4

I sold my F3, ….If I was to revert back to Nikon for my 35mm shooting it would be an FE2 which I could pick up in excellent condition for a couple of hundred quid ( exc lenses) so sorry but no I wouldn't be interested in another F3 ( T or otherwise), but thanks for the heads up.

A little note for the mods…..Don't worry I know all about "trading" in the classifieds etc etc and if this trade had been of interest then I would of requested that gazmorton take it to the relevant section of the forum! ;)

It's an M4

I sold my F3, ….If I was to revert back to Nikon for my 35mm shooting it would be an FE2 which I could pick up in excellent condition for a couple of hundred quid ( exc lenses) so sorry but no I wouldn't be interested in another F3 ( T or otherwise), but thanks for the heads up.

A little note for the mods…..Don't worry I know all about "trading" in the classifieds etc etc and if this trade had been of interest then I would of requested that gazmorton take it to the relevant section of the forum! ;)

No worries. Yes, I didn't take it to the classifieds as it was just a passing suggestion. I love the F3/T as a thing, but I think my shooting will be done more with the Leica. :)

Back