London night shots

Edit My Images
No
Hello all,

I've recently picked up photography as a hobby and had the good fortune of spending this past long weekend walking around a bit. I would really appreciate any thoughts, feedbacks, criticisms.

Please do tell me if these look mundane, overexposed, poorly composed, anything at all. I'm really keen to improve my skills.

All these were taken with a D90 and a 10-24mm lens and a tripod.

Thank you in advance.

Houses of Parliament looking from Westminster bridge:

DSC_0189 by EggmanOrWalrus, on Flickr

I wanted to capture traffic trails under Big Ben and a couple of Boris bikes with flashing lights came into the frame:

Boris Bikes by EggmanOrWalrus, on Flickr

The brighter of these shot is at f/4 and the darker at the extreme other end at f/29. I like the light streaks of the bus, there's less visual debris in the image but it's a bit dark:

DSC_0139 by EggmanOrWalrus, on Flickr

DSC_0148 by EggmanOrWalrus, on Flickr

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Very nice captures. The one things that I am not too keen on is the way you have angled the last 3.

Hi, All nicely exposed and the basic compositions are good. #1 I feel would be improved if the bottom right and other bit in the bottom of the shot had been cropped out. Also the buildings have a slight lean to the right.

Numbers #2, #3, & #4 would be much better if you had presented them as is, rather than at the angle. The images are strong enough without trying to add something to them.

Only my opinion of course for what little it's worth.

As George pointed out, the first one really needs the detritus at the bottom cropped out - but I'd go a lot further and crop a lot of the bottom off. The reflection is pretty, but it's not interesting enough to have quite so much of it. Straighten it, lop a little off the top, a lot off the bottom, and a bit off the boring/dark left, and I think you have a stronger image.

Seconded on the others, too - much nicer without doing the wacky angle thing. That works nicely with more abstract images, but if we have to angle our heads to view it properly then it's probably just getting in the way.f

Thanks a lot for your feedback, fellas. Appreciate it.

I've seen a lot of photographer's add diagonal angles for artistic flair, so I thought I'd just try it myself. I really appreciate the honest feedback though.

Re #3 vs #4, any preferences between the two exposures? I prefer the brighter feel of #4, but prefer the composition of the bus trails in #3.

Thanks again.

Thanks a lot for your feedback, fellas. Re #3 vs #4, any preferences between the two exposures? I prefer the brighter feel of #4, but prefer the composition of the bus trails in #3.

Thanks again.

Yep. I agree. If number 3 had the same exposure as 2 and 4 then it would be the winning shot for sure.

Back