London Pics

Joe T

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
Here are the best of my pics from my trip into London yesterday:

No. 1 Charing Cross Station
DSC_6647-01a.jpg

I really like this one, except for the fact that I burned out the highlights :( I used a Cokin ND grad filter to get the effect on the sky.
8sec at f16 iso 200 70mm

No.2 The London Eye
DSC_6663-01a.jpg

We got to the Eye at just about the right time to get the most of the light.
15sec at f16 iso 200 18mm

No.3 The London Eye
DSC_6652-01a.jpg

This is my favourite from the session.
15sec at f22 iso 200 18mm

No. 4 Hungerford Bridge
DSC_6676-01a.jpg

These are quite fun! Ghostly! Experimenting with different exposure times was great!
1sec at f5.6 iso 200 24mm

No.5 Waterloo Bridge
DSC_6698-01a.jpg

The white line across the bridge is a double-decker bus. I had to wait ages for one, and then three came at once!
15sec at f11 iso 200 38mm

No.6
DSC_6710-01a.jpg

Unfortunately I blew out the highlights on this one too :(
15sec at f16 iso 200 48mm

No. 7 The Eye and Houses of Parliament
DSC_6668-01a.jpg

Im not sure about this one tbh.
20sec at f16 iso 200 18mm

No.8 Houses of Parliament
DSC_6614-01a.jpg

1/6sec f16 iso 200 40mm

No.9 Houses of Parliament
DSC_6627-01a.jpg

1/4sec at f16 iso 200 60mm

No. 10 Houses of Parliament
DSC_6625-01a2.jpg

I tried PTlens to fix this one, but it only helped a little.
1/10sec at f16 iso 200 18mm

These last three all used the Cokin grad filter too.

All with Nikon D70 and 18-70 lens.

I have never shot this kind of thing before, so it was a good learning experience. Next time I need to judge the exposure better (or just bracket) to avoid blowing out highlights.

It was the first time I used my Cokin filters, which I enjoyed doing and improved the pictures where it was used.

It was also my first time out with my new tripod (see here:http://www.thephotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5140). Overall I found it absolutely great. It was easy to set up and pack away. The bag was very easy to use too. The grip made composing the shot an absolutel breeze. The tripod in the bag is fairly easy to carry over one shoulder when also carrying my Lowepro Orion Trekker. Im very happy so far. :)

I hope you enjoy. Comments welcome.

These all look like good shots, but you seem to have compressed them all to death - particularly the first three.

Agree #3 is a cracking shot !!!
#10 - like the idea of catching vapour trails.

Good first set for 1st attempt at this kind of thing. What do you reckon you would do different on refelction ?

the first 3 without doubt are the best, cracking shots, i would be proud of them. What time of day was it, as the light looks just right.

Hi Joe , decided that No4 is my favourite , Just got a certain 'feel' to it . :thumb:

nice shots. i think number 3 is the pic of the bunch myself.

Some nice shots there Joe. I think you're being a bit hard on yourself, I don't see the highlights as being particularly blown at all.

I think I can (I might be talking out me bum though) on the second shot, on the left, you can see some reflection in the sky, looks to me like an internal reflection which is why I thought of the filter.

Light coming through the filter, bouncing off the lens then being reflected off the backside of the filter again.

I can only see it on that one image though.

Number 3 has it for me. Liberalis must have x-ray eyes and not my bifocals! Reflections from filters is a point worth considering in slanting light. A lovey set - worth the fare!

Some great shots there, well done. :thumb:

I keep meaning to try and get some night shots of London, but working in London means by the time I have finished work the only thing I want to do is get home.

I think you done extremely well with those shots, Joe. I enjoyed looking at them very much.

regards

cor blinky blimey guvna! smashing shots of me lovely london cor blinky blimey innit!

Some great shots there - I particularly like no3 :). Doesn't it look so pretty at night?

Great shots!
:clap:

Liberalis said:
I think I can (I might be talking out me bum though) on the second shot, on the left, you can see some reflection in the sky, looks to me like an internal reflection which is why I thought of the filter.

Light coming through the filter, bouncing off the lens then being reflected off the backside of the filter again.

I can only see it on that one image though.

What an eye there! :thumb:

I can almost see my office in number 6, just to the right of St Pauls heheh

Nice shots

Back