London Pride 2008 (work safe)

Edit My Images
Yes
It started off with a friend in St Thomas's who i was going to see then found out about this..... 2 hours late for visiting :p

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.1.jpg

9.jpg

Some very colourful characters indeed

I don't want to sound controversial, and I am certainly not homophobic. You can apply the same to orange walkers, and anyone else who things its GREAT to force a city to a standstill to celebrate being different. I just don't like it.

Perhaps a tad selfish of me, but I really don't understand why the majority of a city should have to suffer the inconvenience of not being able to make it safely home, just so a "minority" can voice their opinon :D...actually let me rephrase, as thats wrong. Just so they can celebrate being different!!

Can you imagine if 10,000 people decided on a Pro Hetrosexual walk? The organiser would be jailed.

Sorry if I have upset anyone, not my intention.

And nice pics :)

Gary.

Last edited:
Life would be very dull without these sort of events, whether gay or not. On sunday I watched the ASICS 10km london run and 27,000 runners pounding the streets. There were the usual road closures but everyone was enjoying themselves and didn't seem bothered by them.

but I really don't understand why the majority of a city should have to suffer the inconvenience of not being able to make it safely home, just so a "minority" can voice their opinon :D...actually let me rephrase, as thats wrong. Just so they can celebrate being different!!

Gary.

<OT> But have you not realised in todays overly PC society that the minority rules OK? Gary?

<Back on topic >The purple prince (ss) is my favorite
( in a purley photographic sense that is :D )

I would LOVE to see something like this :D Awesome shots (y)

Thanks for the comments.... everyone :D

Not at all :) but ....

why not safely home, i realy don't get that bit ? and why a city to standstill ? a couple of hours and a half a dozen roads between Oxford St & Trafalgar Sq.

Life would be very dull without these sort of events, whether gay or not. On sunday I watched the ASICS 10km london run and 27,000 runners pounding the streets. There were the usual road closures but everyone was enjoying themselves and didn't seem bothered by them.

But thats an open even which doesnt, gulp, 'alienate' itself to others not in their group? The orange walk, only those of a certain faith. Gay Pride, only those of a certain sexuality. You could argue a marathon is unfair to individuals not able to participate due to injury or disability.

I am certain Gay Pride would welcome hetro individuals to the walk, but the fact is, there is a massive difference in opinion, and for some, a morale question, and therefore, whether we like it or not, a divide exists.

I don't see the point in being proud of that divide, all I am saying. Lets all shout about being different. Why? By shouting, you are forcing others to have this different view almost.

I hate talking about this stuff as its hard to be crystal clear about your own beliefs in these threads. I have gay friends, and often have a bit of banter, no problems at all with it. I would also have this argument and laugh :)

Gary.

Thanks for the comments.... everyone :D

Not at all :) but ....

why not safely home, i realy don't get that bit ? and why a city to standstill ? a couple of hours and a half a dozen roads between Oxford St & Trafalgar Sq.

Not in EDI it wasn't, the whole city centre was off limits last time I was stuck in the midst. It was a major event, and stopped traffic getting close to the centre.

G.

Some good shots there, I really like the flag one - nicely framed.

re. stopping traffic, etc. so what? it's a city, people live in the city, you want a quiet life unaffected by others, there's plenty of countryside out there with but a rabbit to disturb you. :)

Amen to that bro, been looking for a way out for god knows how long. When I get the chance, I will grab with both hands. EDI sucks at times.

G.

I don't want to sound controversial, and I am certainly not homophobic. You can apply the same to orange walkers, and anyone else who things its GREAT to force a city to a standstill to celebrate being different. I just don't like it.

Perhaps a tad selfish of me, but I really don't understand why the majority of a city should have to suffer the inconvenience of not being able to make it safely home, just so a "minority" can voice their opinon :D...actually let me rephrase, as thats wrong. Just so they can celebrate being different!!

Can you imagine if 10,000 people decided on a Pro Hetrosexual walk? The organiser would be jailed.

And nice pics :)

Gary.

Totally agree, loada poofs, queens and queers letting us know what they are. Big deal!! You can be what you wanna be but please don't force it on me, Im not interested and it p***es me off.

That said the pics are very good, though the subject matter --------- well I won't go on.

Last edited:
I apologise, i didn't realise you were referring to the Pride march in Edinburgh.

Not being in the march or an organiser i can only comment on what i saw at London and that was something that was organised well with minimal disruption.

I may be wrong but i was under the impression the marches and media are in place to promote the fact its not a crime to be gay/lesbian, not 'hey look at us were gay', its only in the last decade that people don't shun away from it or sweep it under the carpet like nasty disease.

either way it was a colourful Saturday and filled gaps in the day up nicely :D :D although StarBucks made a killing from me :LOL:

Totally agree, loada poofs, queens and queers letting us know what they are. Big deal!! You can be what you wanna be but please don't force it on me, Im not interested and it p***es me off.

Erm...:wacky:

Hope that was tounge in cheek :)

I apologise, i didn't realise you were referring to the Pride march in Edinburgh.

Not being in the march or an organiser i can only comment on what i saw at London and that was something that was organised well with minimal disruption.

I may be wrong but i was under the impression the marches and media are in place to promote the fact its not a crime to be gay/lesbian, not 'hey look at us were gay', its only in the last decade that people don't shun away from it or sweep it under the carpet like nasty disease.

either way it was a colourful Saturday and filled gaps in the day up nicely :D :D although StarBucks made a killing from me :LOL:

People who think its a crime are not going to change due to a march. Those brainless ****wits are best left ignored, why entertain them.

Gary.

Yeh me too , I tell ya what lets all have a straight parade , proud to be straight and non homosexual. :razz::razz::razz:

Great shots but :bat:

So true!

Last edited:
OK guys, i'm out of this discussion :D It's going the way I didnt want it to. Sorry for bringing up my issue with it.

People who think its a crime are not going to change due to a march. Those brainless ****wits are best left ignored, why entertain them.

Gary.

Ok maybe worded wrong, i dont think a march for whatever reason is going to change deep seated beliefs but it takes some of the shock factor out of it a bit like seeing Durex or other items advertised on television, i feel a slight digression lol but thanks for the comments about the pictures :)

Can we drop the debate guys? :)

This thread is about one thing, and one thing only... very colourfuls characters :D:D

But thats an open even which doesnt, gulp, 'alienate' itself to others not in their group? The orange walk, only those of a certain faith. Gay Pride, only those of a certain sexuality. You could argue a marathon is unfair to individuals not able to participate due to injury or disability.

I am certain Gay Pride would welcome hetro individuals to the walk, but the fact is, there is a massive difference in opinion, and for some, a morale question, and therefore, whether we like it or not, a divide exists.

I don't see the point in being proud of that divide, all I am saying. Lets all shout about being different. Why? By shouting, you are forcing others to have this different view almost.

I hate talking about this stuff as its hard to be crystal clear about your own beliefs in these threads. I have gay friends, and often have a bit of banter, no problems at all with it. I would also have this argument and laugh :)

Gary.

Minorities need special events to celebrate them precisely because they're minorities—when the majority of society acts a certain way or looks a certain way, it's inevitable that a majority of the forms of communication in society will reflect that majority, and by extension that people who don't fit with that majority will feel alienated and want to gather in groups like this and make their presence felt.

I should imagine it's quite easy to feel alone as a gay person in an overwhelmingly heterosexual society, and I should also imaging that participating in a mammoth, open-air parade makes you feel part of a wider community because of your differences, rather than in spite of them. For such events to be quiet and hidden from view defeats their entire purpose and destroys their value.

Is it not the same for both. If you don't run you wouldn't enter a race. A gaypride march is an open event - if you want to go go if you don't then don't. There's a choice with both.

I believe in standing up for what you believe in. It's not the majority of folk that are victimised, people can be picked off in small groups. This is going to sound extreem but what about sex trafficing - it doesn't happen to the majority but if no-one said or did anything who these people be forgotten or abandoned to their fate.

Also what about some empathy here. Some people (not getting at you Gary) talk about how it applies to them, what about the bigger picture and how others feel and celebrating diversity. After all not everyone is into photography but you'd like to be generally accepted.

Anyway, just thought I'd contribute. :tumbleweed:

Back on topic please guys!!!!

This thread has been reported and brought to our attention.
This thread is for the discussion of the images only!!!!

Out of respect for the OP will you please take any further debates regarding political correctness, sexuality, or the right to hold such events, to a thread of its own in Out Of Focus please.
Any further postings that drag the thread off topic from the images will be removed.
Thanks for understanding folks. :)

OK I'm closing this thread, due to the OP's own misgivings about the way the thread is going. This is happening far too often - if you can't comment on the photographic merits of the shots then please keep your personal/political opinions to yourself.

Last word from me - that last shot is fantastic!

Sorry Snowy. :shrug:

LOL and sorry Glo - we cross posted. I've re-opened it in view of your post and let's hope it stays on track.

Back