London 'Street' two for crit, two for share.

Forbiddenbiker

The Enforcer
Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
First two for crit please. :)

... second two have already been annihilated by me for a dozen reasons ...I don't mind if you want to crit those two as well mind.

From an afternoon wander with Shutterman on Saturday.(Yes the same day I left my motorcycles park light on all day and ended up having to bump start it, which isn't actually possible with my stupidly unreliable yet addictively exciting bike...eventually I bribed a taxi to give me a jump start. :puke:)

In fact a have loads more but I actually want some true critique rather than just uplifting comments, so I've trimmed the set down to these four which I hope you'll find of interest.

drinkingdog.jpg

underpassnig.jpg

More for share....

overpassnig.jpg

bridgeboy.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, didn't get that far East at the weekend, looks like you had more luck than me. I had 9 shots that just went in the bin :(

First shot is great, lots of interest and nice light, although I'm not sure if the horizon is a bit wonky or it's an optical illusion? Can't quite tell.

Second doesn't quite work for me. I think it just needs some more interesting light to bring out the curves of the wall. Curiously I think it might have been better if you were visible in the mirror's reflection :)

1 it has some real interest and I'm still wondering what they were looking at. I would prefer these two to be the only people in the shot, I know that's easier to say than do but I think it would have much more impact as a result.

2 sorry but I can't get passed Shuttermans picture of the same scene, this ones not quite there.

3 is a really interesting shot, where abouts is it? - That's rubbish crit I know.:bonk:

4 the bridge looks a little overexposed / washed ou, it looks like you had quite a tonal range to contend with.

All just imho you understand.(y)
Mark

Nice one guys, thanks for your thoughts most interesting ...I appreciate the effort. :)

MG
Can't say the day did much for my mojo either, midday summer light, tis horrible to work with I find.

Number ones lean illusion is caused by the triangular shape of the back of the tall building on the left. Annoying though that is.

Thanks, we'll catch up again/next time I hope. (y)

Mark
Number 3 is the old warehouses converted ten years back now ...to be found just to the south/eastern side of Tower Bridge if you follow the Thames path 200 yards or so. (Sort of)

And in the first, they are looking at the dog playing in the water duct (in the pavement) thing that runs of into the distance. So much more obvious when large it has to be said...oh well.

Number four was a real bad exposure, all wrong in so many ways, should have used a flash, but I just can't bring myself to blast random people with it, makes me feel like I am intruding on their personal space by using one.

Thanks Mark. :)

Another from the subway got some light in this one. ..bit too soft exposure on the persons movement.

underpasscurve2.jpg

...and one of a very grumpy person telling me I can't take pictures whilst blocking my view of her man ...ah perfect, 'click' thanks! :D

nophotos.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Adam... :wave:

Not sure if I'm qualified to be carrying out such critique on two fine images but I can tell you what stands out imhgo... :shrug:

1. A very well executed image in general and I like the idea of the two people looking into the shot but, for me, if you had paced right one or two to move the couple left a bit I would then be able to do what my eyes crave and that is to look right into where the shot leads me down into the avenue between the buildings... :D

With this effectively blocked the image leaves me a little wanting in the fulfilment department but otherwise it is an interesting image with much else to occupy ones visionary senses... ;)

2. I laso like this one and the subject and composition you have managed to pull off... however, again my eyes want to delve further into the image and if you had, this time, moved left a pace or three we might be able to see further up the spiraling steps to add to the intrigue and interest... :thinking:

3. I really like this one a lot... I can see well into the shot and explore almost all the nooks and crannies and feel almost there as I look at it... and the two guys add an informality to the formal structures of the buildings and over bridges... (y) ... damn shame about that bloody rubbish bag though... :cautious:

4. Not as good as the others and it also looks a little washed out imhgo... :shrug:

But all in all a set I would certainly be pleased to have taken... ;)

:p

Hiya Rog ... great stuff for me mate... I am far more interested in what effect the image has on the viewer rather than just a like/dislike or indifference approach.

I so hear your crit of the first! ....my thoughts at that time where to move to the left (where its shot from) because the couple on the left had disappeared against the dark building behind in your view ...my intention was to catch the couple watching the dog play and get the viewer to look at that instead. (there’s a little foot movement/blur in the dogs feet on the large) ...

However no ones noticed the dog much, yes it is a bit small, ..it does work a little better with a large image to view, but I should have gone for your idea. (y)

On the second I was pondering on the viewer looking into the mirror and seeing where the man had come from ...?

Never sure if I should say or keep quiet ...but I like to also find out if anyone sees what I'm trying to portray, without asking them if they see it! ….more of a finger crossed approach. :shrug:

I hate the blue shade thing in three, could have cloned out the rubbish, but not that flipping great thing.

Yeah, number fours knackered ...Im just showing it for interest....fun even.

:)

Veybad conection here...eek

Last edited:
what an exvellent thread and very helpful comments! (y)

hope you don't mind, but I had a quick play with the first one.. not better just different!

3818231095_947f5e9aa8_o.jpg

All nice images... maybe increase the contrast and vibrance on the subway ones??

Can't say I clone out on such a scale! In the area with that dog for instance, with all the paved lines ....it may be possible to get away with it working with the original and showing it here at 800px, but printed a2 for instance its gonna look rubbish. I know cos I've tried in the passed a few times. :D

Glad you like it Luke. ...knew you would. (y)

hope you don't mind, but I had a quick play with the first one.. not better just different!

3818231095_947f5e9aa8_o.jpg

All nice images... maybe increase the contrast and vibrance on the subway ones??

Onform, don't mind at all mate, interesting take on it. nice work considering the size you had to work with.

I should add more contrast shouldn't I. Trying to soften things a little in those ones, its not working is it ...again. Thanks Matt. :)

Last edited:
Sometimes it's better to capture the image with all it's "faults" I use that term loosely, rather than coming away with nothing and always wondering! At least you are out there taking pictures I struggle to get out the house most days lately..I think I'm in serious need of a motivation transplant...... :(:sulk::coat:

That’s the way I look at it, if I'm not out trying to find something different I'll lose my buzz , its the joy of the hunt that gets my motivation going.
The faults can't always be avoided I tell myself, its London, its 'street', some shots do it cleaner than others, that is one of the challenges I feel.

Sitting in a hide shooting small birds, which I like too, is just the same in a way....loads of near 'belters'...oooh its so exciting. :LOL: ...haven't found much time to catch up with that one though.

(y)

Last edited:
sorry mate, I can understand the attraction f bird shots it just doesn't tick any of my boxes...street on the other hand..

lol, Fair enough... its attractions aren't for everyone I know.
Street is where my passion really lays I've discovered over recent years ..well my own version of it anyway, trouble is I'm not quite able to describe it, some sort of arty ph'arty sentence about capturing real life in an arty way ...its in my photos, so I guess that will have to do until I understand.

I've just had a look through your stunning portrait sets on your flicker site, gosh those are nice.

Have you got a link to any street stuff yourself Matt, I'd like to see your take on it. Or hear about your take on it?

I've just had a look through your stunning portrait sets on your flicker site, gosh those are nice.

Have you got a link to any street stuff yourself Matt, I'd like to see your take on it. Or hear about your take on it?

Thank you for the compliment on my portrait photography, that is where my true heart lies but street photography has a certain grip hold on me! I think it's because it can make even seasoned pro's look amateur at times!!! It is almost the epitome of what all photographers are trying to capture, although they don't always admit it, that moment when just touching a button on an inanimate electronic object can capture the feeling and emotion of an entire street filled with people. sheer joy...;)

Hi FB
Too many here for InDepth (Why not post just one there)

Anyway, I'll stick in my 2p on shot one.
Main thing I find that detracts from this shot is the two lookers. They look a bit static and as we can't see their faces, don't add much interest.
The light has lots of potential for processing, but would take a lot of time input to make sing.
Here's a quick / basic subtle processing which gives an idea of the way I'd go with this shot.
Might not be your cuppa ( or anyone elses ) though.

Hi RS, Thanks for the efforts mate. Interesting take on it. I'm not quite sure I like this idea but I get your point, Trouble with this shot is that the interest is just not obvious when view at 800px I can see now. .
In the more easily viewed larger its very obvious the couple are watching the dog play.

I like the two guys one. VERY good composition.

Glad you like it NP, thanks. (y)

Thank you for the compliment on my portrait photography, that is where my true heart lies but street photography has a certain grip hold on me! I think it's because it can make even seasoned pro's look amateur at times!!! It is almost the epitome of what all photographers are trying to capture, although they don't always admit it, that moment when just touching a button on an inanimate electronic object can capture the feeling and emotion of an entire street filled with people. sheer joy...;)

Interesting Matt, not thought of it that way before, the epitome bit... I get you I think, Just one camera, one lens, no plan and no idea, but the next belting shot could be just around the corner if you've got your eyes open enough.

Sheer joy ....I do so agree. :D

Hi FB
Too many here for InDepth (Why not post just one there)

I'm sure I wrote two for crit in the title... ;)

Its a dilemma mate ...for example, the Dungeness meet coming up ...I’m likely to shoot fifty cracking shots or so ... so should I start fifty threads, okay daft, but lets just say just ten threads then?

...or stick them all on one thread?

Or I could narrow it down to just my favourite one or two, but that could be for the wrong reasons, I will have missed why a particular shot works for someone else but not for me.

I have tried putting just one up a few times In a bid to get more in-depth crit... I get good crit on it, but no different to the crit I'd get if I put up a set from a afternoon wander like this set.

In-fact this thread has been a good depthy cirt thread for me (thanks to those for that) ...but then these shots are not my best work for a while so Im still unsure about which way is best...

I'll try it again. (y)

Last edited:
Back